MCSF message 156 2.0 JTS..coil pack? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 15-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 JTS 2.0

MCSF message 156 2.0 JTS..coil pack?

I kept getting the dreaded MCSF message on the centre binnacle. This had gone on a long time ...2 years.

The message only seemed to appear when engine warm and it was intermittent so difficult to trace. It came up as a lambda sensor error but the sensors were OK and the dodgy connectors replaced. Not the CAT either as the fault surely would have reappeared by now.

Nobody seemed to be able to get to the bottom of the problem then one day there was a puff of smoke and firing on 3 cylinders. Coil pack 4 'blew'.

On investigating it had been shorting across to the block and left crusty build up where the plastic/oil had burnt. I suspect this had been on its way out for some time and caused misfires, poor combustion and possible MCSF message.

Replaced the coil pack and since then no problems plus engine seems to be running better overall.

Maybe this might help with a potentially frustrating problem.

I find the binnacle messages annoying. One says WARNING BRAKE FLUID LOW .....or HANDBRAKE ON....stop scaring the driver please!!

Last edited by goldold; 15-07-12 at 14:09. Reason: mistake in title

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , jtscoil , mcsf , message , mtsf , pack