Rebuilding front suspension - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Rebuilding front suspension

Just a quick question for anyone whos done this on a 156, currently have removed the whole of the front suspension.

Whats the easiest way to have it all slot back together?
Build the uprights up with both wishbones attached, with or without the suspension fork attached to the wishbone, or just putting the upper wishbones on first and fitting the lower one after... etc etc...

Both driveshafts are currently removed too, so am just looking for the easiest way for it to go back together to save time, and no doubt some swearing too!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

in reverse order
AO Member
i seem to remember putting the lower wishbone on first,so there was no load on it,just so i didn't damage the ally mounting,very easy to cross thread and scrap the 'bone!that may induce much swearing . . . .as for the order i did the rest,i can't quite remember.think it was top 'bone and strut mount,strut(-minus fork)hub(still had the driveshaft in it)then driveshaft inner,fork then connected to strut and lower 'bone and finally the top 'bone to hub . . . . i think . . . .it was a while ago!and i swore a fair bit . . .i remember that bit!
hope that helps,a little.if you find a better way,let us know!!remember to lube the bushes on the top 'bone,they don't last long otherwise,i speak from experience . . . .good luck
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Something alone these lines..........

Lower wishbone first as it should just slide in to place, lift up the hub and tie it up as high as you can as this will make getting the wishbone in to place very easy. Next top mount and top wishbone. Next put alloy fork over the drive shaft.
Next lift in the strut, line up the strut top bolts and screw on the nuts but not tight, then push down on the hub / drive shaft to get the bottom end of the strut into the fork, a bit of grease in the fork might help. Dont put in the top fork bolt just yet. Bolt in the strut at the top. Bolt on the top wishbone ball joint. Put the bolt through the lower fork and the lower wishbone but dont tighten 100%.
Pull up hard on the hub to make sure the strut is correctly seated into the fork. Put in the top fork bolt and tighten.
Refit the ARB drop link and all the hoses and wires into correct place.

The lower fork bolt should be tightened with car on the ground so put the wheel on and lower it to the ground, reach under the car and tighten this bolt.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles

Last edited by Pascs; 11-07-12 at 03:34.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , rebuilding , suspension