Rear Electric Window Motors on 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Rear Electric Window Motors on 156

Hi all....I feel sure this has probably been aired many times before but can anybody tell me why the rear window motors seem to give up. Now I do realise they normally get very little use so surely it cannot be a case of the motors wearing out. So is it that the mechanical bits...the window guides, the cables, pulley wheels etc seize up and therefore put an undue burden on the motors or do the motors themselves seize through lack of use ????? Hindsight is wonderful of course so when I get mine fixed I'll make sure they get used more. ......Any ideas on how easy...more probably difficult !! is it to replace the motors. Can the motor be replaced on its own or does the whole winding mech have to replaced at the same time ????
Any help would be very appreciated.......
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Mostly due to lack of use...often its just that they seize up in the guide channels (Sportwagons are worse, as they have a larger bearing surface in the guides), and if you peel back the rubbers and spray in silicone lube, then get someone to operate the switch whilst you assist the glass to move by putting your palms both sides of the glass and pulling down, you can free them off.......tho sometimes water has got in and corroded the operating wires, in which case you're goosed. The motors can burn out through overload if the glass is stuck, but in some ways, its irrelevant - if you need to replace the motor, you need to strip out the mechanism complete, so might as well replace complete......

Replacement isn't too difficult - remove the door card - plenty of "how-to" guides on here - sorry but I can't be bothered writing it out again - the the mechanism is held in by three bolts. Only real difficulty tends to be getting the mechanism's "peg" out of the glass when the window is fully up...but if you are replacing the mechanism anyway, use some wire clippers and snip the mechanism wire so you can slide the glass down to a more accessible point.....

If you can't find the info you need by a search, give me a call on 07976 384980 and I'll talk you through it, its easier than trying to describe it online

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Cheers....Many thanks for the info....The idea regarding the silicon lube sounds a good place to start as the motors still try to move the glass, so not yet totally shot....the nearside one being the worst but it will go up with a bit of hand assistance.... so all may not be lost at this stage.
Since my original post I found a couple of threads re door card removal so that doesn't seem too much of a problem......Thanks also for your number....may well take you up on your offer of assistance if I get stuck, but will try lubricating first...................Regards, Dave.
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 jtd

mine have never worked since ive had the car, and dont intend to fix them its now a coupe lol
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Mine had never worked since I bought the car and were stuck solid so I bought some used ones from Autolusso.
They worked but you could hear the motors straining so stripped them down and stripped the motors apart and cleaned them. You wont believe how much rust came out. It seems to gather on the motor spindles and the rubber seals seem to do nothing to stop the water getting into the motor.

I blasted silicone spray into the gearing mechanism on the regulator itself and eventually it freed itself up so much that you could move the cables by hand.

Put them back together and fitted them. They have only got better since I fitted them.

I try and use the rear windows now instead of the fronts and normally wind them both right down and back up again first. They are still working 6 months later.

Sent on the back of an AA truck Using Tapatalk

2002 156 Selespeed Sportwagon|Koni FSD Dampers|Eibach Pro Springs|Fully Powerflexed Front & Rear|Eibach Sports Stabiliser ARB's|Lightweight Flywheel|Lighweight Crank Pulley|Colombo & Bariani Cams|Ported by Peak Alfa|Custom Remap by Gus|Wiechers Aluminium Strut Brace|GTA Uprights & Brembo 330mm Conversion|276mm GTA Rear's|GTA Steering Rack |Custom K&N Intake Pipe & Induction|Brand new Gearbox/Actuator|Quaife LSD|CF2 Decat Manifolds|Supersprint Centre Section|CSC Duplex Exhaust|GTA Interior

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , electric , motors , rear , window