Power steering pipes - redux - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 02-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Power steering pipes - redux

Hello all.

I've had the leak from the PS pipes that's well known and documented. Before anyone chimes in with 'just sleeve it with some rubber and jubilee clips' I decided to do it the permanent way with the black rubber coated pipes and duly sourced some.

I was following the great guide here, and was doing fine up until the section where you remove the bolt from the banjo connection to the steering rack. I can't get it off for love nor money.

Unfortunately (and probably due to my own stupidity) I've taken all the other piping out now and broke the pipe that connects to this connection anyway. Nothing else about this job has been hard, bar this one nut.

Car is now stuck on the road - if I try and drive it anywhere the pump will attempt to circulate fluid that isn't there through a circuit that goes nowhere and will promptly break. The missus is going spare as we're down to one car and therefore both being inconvenienced. Does anyone have any experience with this because I'm clean out of ideas.

Had a mechanic look at it this evening and his opinion is to remove the exhaust and manifold completely or drop the subframe. Neither are really feasible to me and I know from the guide above that it is doable without this...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

pipes , power , redux , steering