'04 156 JTS Selespeed - A Good Buy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
'04 156 JTS Selespeed - A Good Buy?

Im considering buying a 156 2.0 JTS selespeed with 32K on the clock for around 2,200. Is this a good buy considering the potential for expensive repairs? or should I just walk away?

Exactly how unreliable are they? Everyones heard the horror stories but I often find that is repeated by people who have never owned or even driven one, so Id just like some opinions from actual owners.

Sponsored Links
Well, thats a tricky one... but at the risk of upsetting a few owners we can stick to the facts and break it down

1. The selespeed system is a good piece of kit if looked after accordingly. However, it is also the most unreliable gearbox system in the Alfa stable in comparison to other gearbox fitments in the range simply down to cost of parts and complexity. Although they only seem to start causing issues above 75,000 miles or so

2. The JTS has quickly become the most unreliable engine mainly down to it's injection system issues.
Check the forum for common issues on JTS engines

3. The interior + exterior face lift model (all engine and gearbox derivatives) seem to have corrosion underbody issues more than the pre-face lift model for some unkown reason.... I have seen a lot more failures in MOT inspection because of this.... I don't have an answer for this, it should be the other way round

4. 32,000 miles.... It is due a major service including timing belt Alfa Timing Belt Change Special Offer = very expensive

Saying that.... I'm sure there is 9 out of ten owners who never suffer the same issues but they don't post on the forums until they do...

All I can say is: Yes, one or two of those factors and you have a pretty good car for the money
All four factors together combined in one car???? Your choice really

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buy , good , jts , selespeed