147 Lusso 52 plate wheel/steering drone/rumbling - help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

147 Lusso 52 plate wheel/steering drone/rumbling - help

Hi i have looked at many posts here but none seem to ne a match for the problem I am encountering with my 147 1.6, I have just replaced the o/s wheel bearing as I thought this was the cause of the noise but it is still there and at times sounds like a jet taking off!! It starts as soon as the car moves and is noticable as the steeing wheel is turned, it sounded like the noise a knackered wheel bearing makes but as I have just replaced that I don't have a clue what else it coud be.

Do any of the very heplpful people here have any ideas or similar experience?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London
Ive replaced the wrong wheel bearing before as the noise was very vague. Maybe get another person to sit in the car and ask them where they think its coming from.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Drive shaft? I've just done mine and the difference is amazing. Check the CV boots for splits and water ingress, if there is water in there, the joints are toast. They are normally worse under power and cornering.

Wheel bearings don't normally sound bad at low speed unless the wheel is about to fall off.
County: Hampshire
Have the same noise

Just got my first Alfa in 20 years!! 52 Reg 147, 1.6 TS. Jet Engine type whining noise at 50mph +, steering also a little vague 2! A good 2 inch movement on the wheel nothing happens!!!

I think my issue is definitely RMP related! Jet Engines do the same with increases in RPM, so guessing Wheel Bearing or Driveshaft.

Despite its initial problems, proud to be an Alfa Owner again.

County: Cheshire
I have a 147 2.0 52 plate and the o/s driveshaft bearing was noisy, its a 2 piece affair and rumbled like a gud un until I replaced it, sounds like a bad wheel bearing and more noticeable at slow speeds, you can also feel it through the floor. Hope this helps anyone.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , drone or rumbling , lusso , plate , wheel or steering