Alfa 147 smokey engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Shropshire

Member car:

147 JTD

Alfa 147 smokey engine

My 147 JTD engine has started smoking. I gave it a fuel treatment and it seem to clear it out and was smoke free for 1000 miles, it's now smoking again. I've tried another treatment but it hasn't helped. I also have a glow plug warning light on now, are these related?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but i'm not mechanicly minded. Any advice would be greatfully received.
Sponsored Links
Probably are mate. All diesel's work on compression, that creates heat in order to burn the fuel, glow plugs creat that initial heat in order to get the compression ratio up to the correct temperature in order for diesel to burn... = low compression causes unburnt diesel that creates excessive black smoke.

Forget fuel treatments
Take out the glow plugs but leave them connected, leave them on a heat resistant surface. Turn on the ignition and see if the glow red hot within 30 seconds. If non of them do, then you have a relay issue. If only one , two or three glow, then they have failed, probably down to the coating damaged by the fuel treatment!

Clean and check The EGR valve/ Map sensor (do a search on MCSF errors)
Check your turbo hoses for leaks.
Once you have done all that, change the fuel filter and every couple of weeks take it for a long run at a constant speed on the motorway to avoid carbon build up and avoid short journey's where the engine isn't getting up to normal temperature then allowed to get cold before restarting
i.e. 5 miles to work, left for 8 hrs and return home.... If this is the typical case then get a petrol car... Diesel's prefer mile munching or you ask for trouble and expense otherwise

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , engine , smokey