Handling missbehaving after impact on rear right wheel. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Buskerud
Handling missbehaving after impact on rear right wheel.

Hello, I've got an issue with my 156. It's an 98' 2.0 for whatever it matters.

I had a slide during the winter which made the rightside backwheel hit the curb rather hard. After this the car have had a severe handling problem.
The problem is very inconsistent, so it doesn't feel like it has anything to do with the tires or rims or anything revolving. (Not to mention I've changed the wheels around with no change).

What happens is that it can almost at random slide out the back in either direction, in higher speeds or on very slippery surface this can be problematic as it's almost enough to put the car completely out of control.
I was a bit baffled with what it could be, also noting that on dry non-slippery surfaces, it's barely noticeable at all, to the point where I can't say for sure if the little I do feel is imagined or not. Things went dry and the winter caved, so I've been running on my winter tires on the dry as they needed to be replaced next winter anyway. And what I see now is that on both tires, there is massive amounts of wear on the inner side. This is to the point where the outer tracks have about 4mm depth, while it's completely worn down on the other side, even with a small line of metal.

The tires were completely even when I put them on, and never had this kind of uneven wear before. So to me it seems that this was caused by the impact.

So there we arrive at my actual question: what could cause both wheels on the rear to be affected in this way, by a single impact on one side?
What really strikes me as odd, is how it happened on both wheels, if only one, I'd assume something got bent and got the wheel out of position..

I've looked underneath, nothing really bent or visibly damaged, stabilizer rod (if that's the english term) seems a bit poor, will replace that but could it make something like this happen?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Punto GT

The same thing happened me on the ice two years ago nearly .

I noticed the wheel was very slightly out of alignment it was due to the rear control arm was bent ever so slight changed the arm and got it tracked and it was 100% again.

The way that you say that the inside of the tyres are worn badly means that the rear wheels are out of alignment which will upset the handling dramatically .
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 21-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
But in your case, did it occur on both wheels? Is the rear control arm something which could effect both rear wheels?
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Transverse arms, probably the rear ones. They are designed to be sacrificial, and are actually very flimsy. They need regular replacement anyway, and if you've bashed the rear wheels they will probably be out of whack.

I would replace them (especially if you haven't replaced them in the recent past) and get a 4 wheel alignment.

Yes it could affect both. If one rear wheel is trying to go in one direction, the other will be working overtime to drag the car back in the right direction.
Originally Posted by flashist View Post
But in your case, did it occur on both wheels? Is the rear control arm something which could effect both rear wheels?
If it was a bad enough knock, then yes, it will affect both rear wheels as the opposite side is trying to compensate, your vehicle is "crabbing" rear tyres are scrubbing sideways as you are driving straight. as soon as the camber of the road is sympathetic to the direction of the "crabbing" then you will lose grip in that direction....
Get the rear alignment checked first and it will become very apparent just how far out it is and the exact part that is defective and causing it
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 22-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
ok, I will try replace this part as well then. I still need to swap out the rear stabilizer bar though, anyone know of an online store that ships abroad where I can get a hold of this? All I've been able to find is used parts, and it looks a bit bothersome to replace, so I don't want to replace it with a used part. And buying parts here (norway) is out of the question. It's twice the price if I'm lucky.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Try mister-autos.co.uk ... they'll send them from France probably ...

Otherwise you could try EB Spares.
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
as said, EB spares very good and ship worldwide,

how about here

Alfa 156 Spare Parts Suspension

lots of goodies on that site

I would agree on the rear arms, I once bought a 147 for repairs and the handling was shocking, turned out someone had wrapped a tow rope around a rear arm and bent it quite badly, made the car a death trap.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

handling , impact , missbehaving , rear , wheel