Grinding noise and 2nd gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Wrexham
Hmmm Grinding noise and 2nd gear

Just joined the forum after getting my alfa back on the road after 4 years of SORN!

I would appreciate any advice or help offered to help me to solve a problem or two I have with a grinding noise and selecting second gear. I've read somewhere that the two issues may be linked.

The car makes a grinding / scraping noise as the car is travelling. It is not engine speed related as the noise gets worse as it the car goes faster but does not change in volume or pitch any any gear. The noise is worse turning right and disappears when turning left. Its not too bad from inside the car but i'm told it sounds quite bad from outside. The car does travel smoothly though.

The other issue is that I cannot select second gear either whilst running or stationary. I cannot select it with the engine off either.

Again any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Punto GT

did you check the wheel bearings if it goes away turning left it would be one of the left hand bearings or check brake pads as they might be worn badly and touching the metal part of the pad off the disc
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 16-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Wrexham
Thanks for the reply.

I did check the wheels other day when I had the front end up replacing the exhaust heat shield. Both seemed ok which is why I thought it it might be related to the gearbox issue with second gear. She also sailed straight through and MOT last Saturday so if there had been any issues with the brakes I'm sure they would have said / failed the car.

Still perplexed!
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

916 v6 lusso

I'm sure I read somewhere that all gears need to be selectable for an mot pass............I may have dreamt that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

2nd , gear , grinding , noise