Typing this post...
AO Silver Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Had a go at the dials this afternoon, didnt take long about 15mins in total...
I removed the rings, i found it best from the underside (6 oclock position) of the ring to start with and used a blunt knife, its probably best to mask the area off around the ring with some tape, shim or something else to protect the grey painted plastic of the HVAC unit as you need to lever against it to get the rings off.
Then all it took were a few gentle wipes with IPA and i also wiped the IPA off with a dry cloth which helped rub the remainder of the bits off the dials, i repeated until it wiped clean, probably 3 attempts for each dial. I got the IPA from Amazon, this was a smallish bottle, about £3.50 I think, but it did'nt look like i'd even used any so little is needed...
I also cleaned the rings while they were off with a kids paint brush with washing up liquid in the sink and then clipped them back on, looks a lot better, ok there is a bit of a satin finish to the buttons now but thats just the gloss level of the plastic so if i ever have to take the unit out i would mask off and give it a coat of matt lacquer.
These are the results:
Ive also had a go at the driver door switch unit, this took quite a while longer and i will add more detail and pics when finshed.... took a bit more effort and different technique etc