GT Volunteer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: GT Volunteer

I posted this write up on it and saved it but can't seem to find it on there now

I am Steve and I live in Ireland. In May 2004 I decided to order an Alfa GT 1.9 JTD. My reason for this was that I always loved Alfa's and never owned a new one before. I thought the GT looked fantastic from all angles and the interior too was very special and exotic looking. Also I had been driving BMW's for the past seven years and even though they were immaculately built and looked fantastic they did not give me the driving experience I wanted. I just felt that they were too cosseting and insulating for my liking.

I chose the diesel model as I always prefer the economy of a diesel car and everything I had read about the Alfa diesel engine was very positive. The model designation I chose was the Sportivo which comes with a lot of extras as standard - including those lovely leather seats. I also opted for the 17' teledial alloys as I thought the standard 16' alloys looked very dull and frankly are too small for this car.

There was a bit of a delay in the delivery of my Alfa GT and to cut a long story short I took delivery of it in January 2005. I bought my GT from Lismard Autoworld in Portlaoise, Ireland. The car was presented in immaculate condition and I was very pleased with the dealer and the deal I had done. I had traded in my BMW 530D (a 2002 model)It cost me 42,000 euros - this is expensive by European standards but its mainly due to our government taxes. They think owning a car is still an unnecessary luxury.

I have now done 1,700 miles in my GT (low because I use other cars as well) it has only had a few niggles of a minor nature. The diesel filler flap did not open electrically at first but there is a bit on string inside the boot to cater for such difficulties. Afterwards it opened electrically with no problems. The cd changer jumped a lot when playing cd's at first but this problem seems to have gradually faded away and now does not happen at all.

It is a fantastic car to drive. The driving position could not be improved further and the brakes and switchgear work with the same damped smoothness of a BMW. The lights offer very effective illumination and the heating and climate control is great even if the controls are a little difficult to get used to. It is a difficult car to reverse so the parking sensor option is advisable ( I did not go for it which I now regret) But there has to be some sacrifice for those beautiful coupe lines which I gladly accept.
My car averages 41 mpg not bad I suppose for a 150bph car. The acceleration is quite entertaining in this car as is the quick geared steering. I find the build quality to be almost as good as a BMW if it were not for various rattles coming from the rear of the car. I have not identified its source but I suspect its the boot cover. This rattle only happens occasionally and then disappears but can be a bit annoying when it starts.

In general I am very pleased with my purchase and would gladly buy another GT of the same specification with of course the parking sensors.'

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT