2000 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 Engine Heating up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Australian Capital Territory
2000 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 Engine Heating up

Hi Guys,
I have recently started having issues with my car. I was away overseas for a while when a friend of mine took the car for a drive & met with an accident. The insurance covered it and the radiator was replaced during the repairs. Since I got back I've been having trouble with the engine temperature heating up frequently. The first time it occured, the temp maxed out and the red light went up. I pulled over, and let the car cool down a little bit. Took the car to safe location and noticed that there was no coolant. So topped it off with water, which made things a little better. Then took the car to my mechanic, who flushed the cooling system and topped it off with coolant. He did mention though that it was hard to flush the cooling system. I am still having the same problem after this, but when I turn the heater in the car ON, the engine temperature would get back to 90. I have noticed in a few forums that this could be the water pump. When I contacted my mechanic, he mentioned the same. But he also said that this issue was common in Twin Spark/ Selespeed editions. He also quoted me around AUD 1500 for this job of replacing the water pump. Is it that expensive job to do? I'm not sure if it could be the same problem. Any advise and expertise on this matter would be much appreciated. I love this car and I dont want to sell it off for this issue.
Please advice.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Water pumps on these cars do fail, they have a plastic impellor which ends up not circulating the coolant. Always replace with a metal impellor. To change, the cambelt has to come off, an opportunity to change, but this is time consuming and parts are expensive. Of course you then have to pay labour charge.

Because this has happened just following the accident and new parts fitted, I would start with some lateral thinking and check the work has been done properly and that they havent missed anything. Also check that the fans are coming on (double fan on radiator) as your car is a 2000, it could be corroded terminals that are stopping the fan.

Just on a final cheery note, if temp has topped out and presuming your engine is the original, I would get your local mechanic to check for head gasket failure. Quite a quick easy test.

Obviously check the cheap things first!

All the best
AO Silver Member
County: -
Did you friend drive the car after the accident? Or even leave the engine idling while they sorted things out? If so then I'd suspect head gasket also. If so, you may need some careful negotiations with your insurance co as they should really pay to fix it (result of accident).
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 10-06-12 Thread Starter
Thanks for your suggestions guys!!!
I'll get my mechanic to check the head gasket first before proceeding any further (As the car has been sitting idle for about 4 months since the accident without being used after being fixed, it might be the case of an head gasket fix as you guys suggest). Good thing is, my mechanic has been dealing with this car for the past 6 - 7 years(previous owner with the same guy & recommended him) and hope he fixes the issue with minimal expenses.
Also, the radiator fan kicks off after starting the car, but it blows cold air instead or hot air in the beginning. This might also lead to the fact that the water pump is the one causing the trouble.
But is it safe to drive long distances with the heater ON, 'cos I have moved to Brisbane recently and my car is in Canberra. It is around 1200kms drive. I wasn't sure if it was worth taking the risk, and getting it fixed in Brisbane. Any suggestions?
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-12 Thread Starter
Hey Guys,
I'm really sorry about such a late reply. I totally forgot about this forum, until now. But then I realised that I should share my experiences with my fellow alfa owners!!!
As suspected it was the water pump which was faulty and the plastic impeller had a crack on it. So my mechanic had it fixed. In doing that, I also had the major service done and the timing belt replaced.
Car has been running like a gem for the last 3 months.
Drove the car all the way from south for about 1300kms and no issues at all.
Will be going on a drive again end of this year.
Luv my car, & I believe u guys do luv urs well!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2000 , alfa , engine , heating , romeo