Clutch noise after engine swap? advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 01-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Nottinghamshire
Clutch noise after engine swap? advice needed

Hi All,

I have just finished swapping an engine out of my 156 after a big end failure

got it fired up and after fixing a few things (blowing exhaust manifold on new engine etc...) i seem to have an annoying high pitched whine

it sounds quite metallic. I think i have two noises - one that is constant and one that goes away when the clutch is slightly depressed

I have a feeling that the constant noise could be a pulley on its way out

could the one that goes away be the release bearing? - this was fine before so could i have broken it whilst swapping the engine? the gearbox didnt go on too easily. i am assuming it is the release bearing rubbing against the clutch when the bearing is retracted so is there a way to adjust the bearing outwards? would bleeding the clutch have any effect?

also i have a funny noise when i turn the steering wheel - could this just be a poorly bled PAS system or is it more likely to be a knackered pump - i used the pump that came with the new engine rather than my old one - lazy i know and im possibly regretting it now - would have been so easy to swap with the engine out and a complete pig with the engine in

sorry if this is a bit incoherent - trying to describe noises with words is quite difficult - i shall have to see if i can get a video of the noises

***Edit to say - i used the clutch from the new engine and the gearbox off the old engine if this has and bearing on the noises***

Last edited by novacaine; 01-06-12 at 06:24.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , clutch , engine , needed , noise , swap