1.9JTDm Turbo noise ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
1.9JTDm Turbo noise ?

On my 16v oil burner, on very very (almost no throttle) from about 1600rpm to 2000rpm I get a noise like a dolphin chattering. Only get it if I am just slightly on throttle and then hold or lift off. If I floor it, the sound doesn't occur.

Now before lots of you say the turbo is about to destroy itself, I've had the car nearly 5 months and done just over 17000....yes.....17000 miles in it and the car has always made this sound. Doesn't use oil, doesn't smoke, even on full throttle at 4500rpm and averages over 50mpg with my often lead footed (Clarkson) style driving, so not worried about the turbo condition.

I was thinking it may be related to the intake plate opening and shutting. The car doesn't make the sound when stationary, only when on the move and it's definately turbo/boost related.

Any ideas folks ?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

intake plate opens when you start and shuts when you turn engine off.if vacuum is poor ie split pipe .it can cause problems but performance will be affected
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

your best bet would be to just take it to your nearest garage and they will diagnose the problem in no time
Originally Posted by simple simon View Post
your best bet would be to just take it to your nearest garage and they will diagnose the problem in no time
No thanks. I am fine working on cars, but this is my first fuel of satan burner

Performance seems fine. I need to do a clean out of the EGR and plate etc at some point, although seeing as the car sits at motorways speeds most of the time I doubt there is much soot kicking about in there.

The plate also shuts on over-run to stop air entering the engine for pollution reasons apparently which is why I am wondering if at the revs and throttle position I'm talking about, the plate is opening and closing, or not sure what it wants to do and is causing a bit of turbulence by not fully opening or closing.

I'm just curious. It sounds cool as too

Last edited by marlon; 25-05-12 at 09:17.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

I cannot hear my EGR working on my current Alfa but on my last diesel car it was really obvious. I would expect the EGR to be working hard at low rpm and throttle opening so maybe you have a noisy valve? If the intake plate was closing due to a problem it would seriously affect performance so I would rule that out. Are you sure its not a rattle on the aux or cam belt or exhaust clamp etc?

It's not a rattle for sure. I can get the car to make the noise at will. Could well be the EGR needing a good clean.

I will get round to it soon.

Also ordered a restrictor plate with a 9mm hole for the EGR.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Originally Posted by marlon View Post
I doubt there is much soot kicking about in there.
I would guess again......

you sure its not just pressure release valve for turbo pressure?

ever since fitting my FMIC my car has a sound like a dump-valve if you let off the throttle at a certain rpm range.
County: West Midlands
I got to tell you Marlon your description of the noise as a "chattering dolphin" made me laugh out loud only bcoz I seem to have one if those slippery buggers under my bonnet too. Exactly the same, get the noise when I rev up to 2k revs & then again coming back down through the same range. I thought it might of been EGR but just had mine replaced & still got the noise. Anyway i was worried about it so I took it up to Simply Alfa's & got the guy to come out on a road test with me so I could show him. We identified it straight away and he said its not a problem just a noise that the turbo makes. He said some if them are a bit noisy and that he'd heard the noise before. Up shot of it all is that it doesn't affect performance in anyway & that it's nothing to worry about. Must admit hearing it from the horses mouth so to speak has put my mind at rest no end. I just think of it as one of my Alfa's many weird and wonderful noises now.
LOVE MY FACELIFT 156 1.9 M'JET - wouldn't change it for the world!
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

mine's a little chirpy too, unless performance is affected then don't worry about it

AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Mine also makes a funny kind of noise once you get to around 1800 rpm, its not the egr as thats been deleted in software. The only thing i think it might be is the turbo like you said, i never heard the noise when i first bought the car and only seem to recall hearing it after i replaced the lower intercooler pipe, i also left off the plastic engine tray thing, i noticed the other day that the tray has a lot of padding on it and wondered if that had been damping the sound, will put it back on when i get a chance to see if it quietens it down.

Marlon if you have the 16 valve oil burner you want the egr gasket that goes between the egr and manifold and has 4 holes in it, you can get them from ebay or alfa workshop.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
only real noise u will be out of turbo is a noise like a siren if u have lost tip of the impellor........of if journal bearings are worn it will allow impellor to move side to side and touch compressor cover......actually as i was typing i had another thought...if thrust bearing is worn it will throw impellor forward into comp cover

take of the pipe on the air side and get hold of the nut what holds the impellor on, if u can move it side to side so it touches of in and out then u have problems
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Me too....same noise , if you have a chipped fin on the impeller can be very noisy ...everybody in the street knows it me going to work at 5.30am ..
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Mine makes a chirpy noise too but it goes away when I turn the windscreen wipers off...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

19jtdm , noise , turbo