Boy, does my car handle well! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Boy, does my car handle well!

Last night I came home from shopping and all was quiet, so when I reached a roundabout at the A12/M25 junction (anyone know of it here?), I wanted to avoid stopping at the red ts, so I nailed it in 3rd around 55/60 and then threw it into the armco (no! only joking!), I threw it into the opposite direction to join the A12. With the car floored, the traction control was going crazy, but the grip was amazing.
I did not lift at all through any corners and boy was I shifting! I felt the car only run a little wide on the exit, as I was VERY close to the armco / kerb. I felt for once, I was actually driving like a hooligan

Funny thing is, the car is always getting bad press about being nose heavy and understeery, yet I find its great. The JTD's seem to be suited to the chassis - enough power and torque without upsetting the handling. Maybe its not until you put a bigger and heavier engine in it (like the GTA) it pushes the chassis too far.

The previous car I owned was a Fiesta Zetec and that handled VERY sweet, but got twitchy when the speed increased when throwing it around. The 147 seems to handle very very well at higher speeds and looses out to the Fiesta through the slower stuff - has anyone else noticd this The alfa also has a rear anti roll bar and double wishbone front sus so I guess that helps, but the rear end I think is very weight on these whih helps the overall balance.

Ah well I just thought I'd tell about my minute of crazy antics - I only really did it as I replace the front tires in a couple of months
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 veloce

Re: Boy, does my car handle well!

Very good..... where are you from ??? ...oh yes I see....Essex now that does suprise me !!!!
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Re: Boy, does my car handle well!

Hi alfa_147_jtd_16v, yup I know that road v. well only 55-60 I'm suprised

The road section in that area that always did it for me was off the A127 eastbound at the junction to the B186 (first jnt west off the M25).

Sequence was:
Off slip followed by a slight left then a right turn into a dip and up the incline to the junction. Really tests the suspension and traction as the car sits down in the dip then turns when coming out of the dip.

Give that a try but be careful and I didn't tell you that in my Company Cavalier the inside wheel smoked when doing the right/dip/incline bit.

55 was just possible with x-treme drama but in a Peugeot 406, 55 was easy-peasy.

p.s ADYS156; Essex b 'n' b also.

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon | Q2 | KW V1 Coil-overs | Eibach ARB | Wiecher Strut Bar | Wizard Cat-Back

2009 Fiat Panda 100 HP Stealth Edition

Last edited by TOX1C; 07-04-05 at 19:28. Reason: Don't know East from West!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

boy , car , handle