Loose while in gear, after bush replacement? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

Loose while in gear, after bush replacement?

Ok so last week I replaced the bushes in the gear linkage because my gear stick was not springing into place. I say replace but there weren't any bushes in there so I just popped em in place with some grease. Now my gears spring back into place but it still doesn't feel right. It seems that the movement between 3rd and 5th is stiffer than the movement between 3rd and 1st. As well when pushing it into gear it doesn't feel smooth, there's some resistance and so I'm gentle when doing this and therefore slow. I'll note as well that it doesn't grind when I'm doing this so I'm guessing/hoping that the gearbox is fine. In my corsa the gears were great, just slotted in nicely and therefore gear changes could be quick. The other problem is that when in gear there it allows considerable movement from side to side.

I'm thinking that it's not down to the bushes and perhaps the plastic housing underneath the gear stick has cracked. I don't think this would cause the resistance when putting into gear though.

Any ideas guys?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5

Mine, 156, has a similar problem with the resistance when going into 1st or 2nd.

Found that the plastic housing under the gear stick was loose resulting in a lot of play in the stick.

Problem is I need access under the car to tighten the bolts up. Should get this sorted in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if they are related until I tighten them up. Could be same reason for your's?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bush , gear , loose , replacement