Issues with newly bought GT JTD -04 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Hi, Had a GT diesel, sold it, felt sick and just bought a second one today so, my thoughts after owning 2 (and driving the second one for over 100 miles or so today)

1) Fog lamp - used to play up on the 1st GT I had - the seal was broken and had allowed in water. I cleaned it up, which helped for a week and then it started up again - bought a new lamp (ebay from a car that was being scrapped - cleaned, resealed anf fitted and had no more problems.

2) Exhaust - JTD pre 2007 ish has a single oval pipe. some people with twin pipes actually revert to the oval one because they like it better - keep the oval...Looks GREAT.

3) Temperature - 1st GT would not get above 85 whilst on a run. New GT sticks at 90 degrees and DOES NOT MOVE AT LL - must have had a problem with the old thermo but it never bothered me and I never did anything with it.

4) Indicator - ebay and replace it.

5) Gear lever moving - did it on the old one and the new one does not move at all. New one had the clutch replaced by the previous owner so this may cure it, may not - a lot of people seem to suffer with it but it doesn't seem to matter too much to them.

6) Arm rest - you should just be able to replace the locking mechanism/latch - few quid.

7) door handles - Never really bothered me - HOWEVER, I can see how it could be annoying - perhaps really fine grit sandpaper? Don't know.

8) Pay attention to the Oil Cooler pipes for sure - thread about them.

9) idling -they are noisy but it is a diesel lump. I remember my sister saying "what a racket" when she heard the first one - second one is not different!!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the car - Alfa's get a bad press because people neglect them, in my opinion. You will be the one who starts to look after this beauty.

I have only one real piece of advice - DON'T EVER GET RID OF IT - IT'LL MAKE YOU SICK ONCE IT'S GONE!!!!!!!

I hope I have helped to some degree!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 29 Old 25-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD -04

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated. And thanks Back2Alfa for the boost.

I have been able to fix most of the initial upsets, including a thermostat change which resulted in the temperature now stabilizing at 90 C. Also replaced the clutch, but this did not fix the gear lever moving around. Doesn't really matter that much to me though.

However, there are still a few quirks I've been wondering about.

Firstly - the fuel gauge is very unreliable. If I have 5-15 liters in the tank, the fuel gauge shows anything from completely empty to 25% full. It varies every time I turn the ignition on! Could this be battery related?
The engine runs fine, so I can't imagine it being the MAF, as has been the case in some of the threads here.
If it is the actual gauge, would changing it be a complicated procedure? I can't even seem to be find the actual spare part anywhere, despite searching for fuel gauge/fuel sensor etc.

Also, the brightness of the dash lights is very low, even when the dimmer is on max. I can hardly see the odometer reading etc. in normal daylight. This was not the case with my last GT. Anyone know if there is an inexpensive way to fix this? Or does the dimmer switch only affect the actual "redness" of the km/h and rpm gauges etc and not the odometer display? It doesn't seem to make much difference how high/low I set the dimmer switch.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1382
County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Your fuel gauge is fine my GT does the same , so did my last 2 156's.
AO Member
County: Down
I have the same issue with the handles and have been looking at leather clip over covers on ebay which looks like the easiest way to improve the look otherwise its new door cards.

Also when I serviced my JTD I noticed it was much quieter when just ticking over

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bought , issues , jtd , newly