147 alarm nightmare - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 alarm nightmare

Hi all, hope someone can help!

i have a 2001 147 Selespeed and this problem has appeared from nowhere....

....basically, the alarm has a mind of it's own. When i arm it it beeps as usual and sometimes it beeps a second time. After a random amount of time the alarm decides to sound. I have had to resort to locking it with the key only to stop it going off randomly in the middle of the night, (which i'm not best pleased about as i'm sure i wouldn't be covered by the insurance if it was nicked with the alarm not active!)

I have searched the threads for this and the closest thing i found was that a second beep when arming meant that something wasn't shut properly and therefor the alarm may sound. I have noticed though that sometimes even when there is only one beep the alarm still randomly sounds.

Hope someone can give me some advice before i have to go to the dealership and pay over the odds to get it looked at.

One last thing... i have noticed a small patch of paintwork on the roof (about the size of a 10p) is starting to "peel". My paintwork warranty ran out in December 04, do you think there's any chance of getting anything out of the dealership?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Re: 147 alarm nightmare

I'd guess that there's a door sensor somewhere on the car which is faulty, so it's sometimes giving a correct signal, and sometimes saying the door is open.
As to which sensor not sure how you'd check that... except, I'm not sure about this, but when the alarm has gone off, I think you can tell from how the red LED flashes which sensor set it off. Can anyone confirm that?

I'd make a wild guess at it being the boot anyway, it has a needlessly complicated thing attached to the lock to check whether it's open, and it seems prone to failing, why they didn't just use a button like every other door I don't know.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

I Nomes & Gibbo

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Any ideas guys?
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire

I have a similar problem with my 156 and it's been diagnosed as a faulty sensor in one of the doors. I'm lucky though in that my warranty is valid.

regarding the paint - sounds like maybe bird ****. Don't think you'll get much joy from Alfa, but there's no harm in asking. Good luck.

Originally Posted by leehaynes
Any ideas guys?
If the alarm has tripped, then the number of times the
red LED flashes after you disarm it should tell you what's
triggered the alarm.

Check the manual for what the number of flashes correspond

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alarm , nightmare