Excessive oil consumption or typical Alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Excessive oil consumption or typical Alfa?

Hello. This is my 3rd Alfa but first 2.0jts. Its a 06 plate Gt with 56000 miles. She runs like a dream but is very thirsty on oil(and fuel). Had her 6 weeks and in this time I have done 850 miles and used 1.5litres of oil. This seems a bit excessive from my previous tspark alfas. I know its the correct oil in it, 10w60 as the dealer I originally got her from but incorrect oil in. I mainly do very short low mileage runs, 12 miles a day, 4 stops on a normal day. She has recently had new cambelt, variator, fuelpump and all ancillary belts changed and I have flushed twice with some wurth injector cleaner in the fuel and also some BG44k in a following tank.
Are these things still "bedding in" is it normal or is it a bit excessive and something to worry about? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grahameo

Hi Matty, It does seem a bit excessive but the usual on TS's and JTS is 1000 mile per 1 ltr of oil.
Personally I would investigate it further...

Cheap or even free checks you can do:
Oil leaks being the most obvious place to start....
It's difficult to see when a bottom engine cover is on, try removing it for a week and place a large piece of cardboard under the engine block when the car is parked up. It will soon become apparent if there is a minor leak.

Get a "sniff test" done... It shouldn't cost any more than £10 and most garages will do this for you... It involves a hydrometer that measures the presence of any oil or exhaust gases present in the coolant expansion tank thus the possibility of a slight head gasket leak.

I notice you do a lot of shorter trips.... Take the car out for a 100 mile motorway run at constant cruising speed and check the oil before leaving and when you return... Chances are you will have lost nothing! If thats the case then it points to cold engine/ oil consumption issues via valves etc... Pay attention to the temperature guage... It realistically should be up to temperature within 5 miles or five minutes (around the 85 mark) If it is nowhere near on the cruise above and only gets above the 85 in traffic etc. Then that indicates thermostat issues which won't help oil consumption nevermind fuel usage!

A simple test you can do is, when the engine is cold, start her up and place a clean, dry white cloth over the exhaust tail pipe. Be careful not to burn your hand and allow the exhaust gases to breath through the cloth.
You will obviously get carbon soot deposits etc... But see if there is any oily residue on the cloth after a couple of minutes. Usually this will give an indication to valve stem oil seal condition and if the valves themselves are sealing properly.

Nowadays there are companies that offer a 1hr total engine de-carbonising process that bypasses the fuel injection system and uses high quality fuel/ detergents to clean all the carbon out from injectors to exhaust tip... Very good reports about it apparently so if there are tell tale signs above, it isn't a high cost "head off" job anymore.

Perfect timing is the key to all Alfa engines, if its even slightly out it can cause all manner of lumpy running and excessive oil consumption issues so get it double checked to make sure.

My gut feeling would say either of the bottom two suggestions but don't eliminate the pain of minor oil leaks etc just yet... start simple and work through it
Hope this helps mate... let us know what you find

Last edited by Grahameo; 12-05-12 at 14:04.

(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks very much! Thermostat is deffo working properly. Going for a 100 mile run next weekend so will check before and after and see what happens. When cambelt was changed 800 miles ago or so, there was oil in the spark plug wells. It had previously had work done and don't think they fitted the gasket back correctly. It was all cleaned up so will also check this as was 6 weeks ago. Few things to check now and a plan. Thanks.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just realised, only put about 3/4 of a litre in not 1.5 litres so that's much better! It has been topped up with castrol edge 10w60 but have just ordered selenia racing 10w60 to top up with in future. By the looks of it this is a better oil but 3/4 of a litre for 850 miles or so is quite normal I think. Panic over!
AO Member

County: Essex
Hi mattyc, i know you have a JTS engine, but last year i used Selenia 10w60 Racing and after 6 months it used 500ml of oil, this year, i did oil change in January and used Selenia 20k and so far, 5 months in, it hasn't used a drop! so it could be down to the different types of oil.

I heard that you're only meant to use the same oil in your Alfa's lifetime.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 13-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_gta View Post
Hi mattyc, i know you have a JTS engine, but last year i used Selenia 10w60 Racing and after 6 months it used 500ml of oil, this year, i did oil change in January and used Selenia 20k and so far, 5 months in, it hasn't used a drop! so it could be down to the different types of oil.

I heard that you're only meant to use the same oil in your Alfa's lifetime.
Cheers for advice. Looking at past service docs etc, its always been run on selenia 10w60 so hopefully when she gets her normal juice back she will be happier!
AlfaGab

County: Australia
Help Hi all,

Hope someone can help or maybe I can help someone. I have be an Alfa driver pretty much all my life. I have recently acquired a 2004, 156 jts (74,000 kms) and discovered the following;
Down on power, burning oil, burning fuel excessively as proven by the spark plugs, black carbon build up in base, core and arch (not oily).
carried out compression test - 150 psi (dry) 250psi (wet). I think that is good compression, please let me know otherwise.
took cam cover off and hold and behold discovered Cam lobes worn - replaced them with 147 TS, had a spare set lying around...yes, they are the same, and they work !. just need to have a thread machined on the end of the exhaust cam shaft for the HP fuel pump spindle.
Also replaced the variator and variator half bearings (intake cam) and half bearing for exhaust cam, they were scored.
Also replaced all 16 valve lifters/tapets.
Re-assembled. Put fresh Castrol Edge 10-60 oil and bang ! Power is up, fuel consumption is better but still blowing out smoke, doesn't seem blue, more like black.
Oil consumption seem excessive to me (100 ml to 100km's) this is city driving, short trips. Noticed the temperature does not rise quickly, possible thermostat issue (open all the time). Can take about 20 minute to reach 70-80 degrees.
Checked spark plugs and burning right to me, slight black grey on base but grey white in core and arches (NGK twin arch spark plug).
Also discovered that the Cat Converter core (honey comb material) has been damaged as I discovered bits in the muffler (assuming due to excessive fuel burning and heat from inadequate intake and exhaust aperture). Have not experienced the Motor control system failure alert and checked the codes with the ECU Multiscan and only error code is P0443 - Evaporative Control Valve which I replaced (had one lying around) and still get the error. This one beats me, not sure but I'm not too worried about it.
So... my mystery is where is the oil going ? If it was the valve stem seals leaking surely I would see oil build up on the spark plugs. Compression is good as I can see. Is it the Cat converter causing issues ? Anyone have any suggestions or silver bullet !!
Alfa forever !! “Your not a true petrol head until own an Alfa”

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , consumption , excessive , oil , typical