I've relented and will try again - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Berkshire
I've relented and will try again

after my spider 'experience' I vowed never to have another Alfa .
However,a year on and blood pressure back to normal I'm beginning to look longingly at the the Alfa GT as a practical and dog friendly car that makes all the other hatchbacks look as stale as yesterdays paper ( the new Audi TT is an exception to that statement but still quite pricey).
This time I will go into it with an open mind and a determination to keep smiling but there are a couple of questions that the GT gurus on the forum could help me out on

- what is the prudent ( as opposed to Alfa recommended) mileage for a cambelt change
on the diesel engine and how much does it cost ?
- is the GT suspension the same as the Spider suspension with all those ridiculous rubber bushes that need replacing after a few years ?

I will be looking for a diesel GT with 40-60K on the clock so cambelt change could be an issue when considering price.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
TT suffers with major coil pack problems ...

Diesel cambelts are recommended for 60K or 5 years, but I think most owners on here would go for 45-50 and four years, so if it hasn't been done get it sorted asap. It's unlikely as the dealers won't bother until 60K.

Get the water pump replaced as that is actually the weak link and when it seizes takes the belt out. But as it's a diesel, it will have sacrificial rockers so the valves tend to survive.

GT is actually a 147/156 underneath .. nothing like the Spider ... but it has around 16 bushes and 10 balljoints!! Usual tell-tale noise is squeeking on speedbumps and it's usually the upper wishbones. If you're handy with a spanner or two, they can be swapped out in around 30-45 mins per side. Buy good quality and they will last a few years ... TRW, Delphi, Birth, etc.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT