auxiliary belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

auxiliary belt

ok so had a rattle on startup so orderd the pully and the belt and the tensioner, today decided to do the job and took off the belt then the tensioner then the next pully wheel, but when I took it off I noticed the new one was differant as it had a spacer on one side where as the old one didnt, when I looked where it went to there was a groove in the cam belt cover that looked like the pully wheel had made it so anyway I put it back on with the spacer on the inside and it looks ok and no strange noises or anything so was the one on there originaly the wrong one? did the stock ones come with a washer or somthing that someone hadnt replaced?

also I put on a new locking wheel nut and its about 7mm longer than the original, is that ok? the wheels turns ok but I thought i'd ask to make sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 08-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

no-ones knows? anyone here ever taken the pully off?
AO Member

I've just had mine fixed. Basically my belt was wearing out so i had it changed. but the pulley was the reason it was wearing out - something that wasn't detected at the time. A couple of weeks later the belt snapped and I lost the power steering whilst driving - to cut a long story short, the belt was replaced under warranty but again within a couple of weeks the same thing happened. My mechanic - Oscar from McFarlane Automotive - a top chap and awesome mechanic - did some deeper checking and found that the pulley had worn out and was moving slightly which was causing the belt to slip off and/or shredding part of the belt.

Now i'm not sure if it's the alternator pulley, but suspect it might be because i got the battery charge warning on the centre display

Hopefully it's been sorted now but could be a major issue if this happens again, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
auxiliary , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page