Rust repairs on a 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-05-12 Thread Starter
County: Aberdeen
Rust repairs on a 147

Wondering if anyone on here has had to repair the sills on there 147, been going over my latest purchase for any issues that may rear there head (i only paid 400 for it so i wasn't expecting a showroom fresh car) when i found the rear of the sills will need attention before the next mot.

I've heard its a common rust spot, haven't looked inot it too much but from what i can see there is sound proofing in the sill that has held moisture and helped rust it from the inside out, i poked at a bit of flaking paint (i knew it would end in tears...) and put a small hole in the sill, the area round it seems pretty thin as well so going to have to cut a section out and investigate it

the rust seems fairly localised though so wont be to hard to repairbe too much of a problem to repair, i am on the lookout for a section cut from a scrapped 147 though as it will same me having to fabricate a part, not a huge issue if i cant get one though, ive done plenty fabrication and repairs on older cars before

I think i might have to take the rear interior panel out though, incase there is anything flammable in there (that damn soundproofing) and to properly paint and rustproof the repaired part inside, not going to be simply bashing a bit of old tin over it and tacking it on, mot repair style

That and I want to have a look at the offending soundproofing, to either remove or preferably alter it so its not in the sill as that's asking for trouble

Assuming no one has before i will post some pictures up once I start the repair so if anyone else is unlucky enough to have the same issue they can see what its like to do

was a little surprised that it had rust issues, but then it is 10 years old, and the north east of Scotland isn't the kindest climate for cars

Guess we can be grateful newer alfa romeos aren't like there older brethren (or cars from the 00's like the ford Ka.....) and dissolve before our eyes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , repairs , rust