Glovebox lever falling off soon!!! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
Re: Glovebox lever falling off soon!!!

my handle fell off yesterday. haha i thought "no...the AO forum wont have advice on this"..WELL! I guess everything is on here!" thanks for all the advice. I have gone the "glue" way. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wicklow

HAHA! ya gotta love this place! glue for me too! cause my screw has dropped in behind the lever!

AO Member
County: -

Member car:

None yet

Should've read this thread sooner... my glovebox lever came off suddenly, and when I stuck it back to the latch to open the glovebox, the whole assembly ripped out. So the only way of opening the hatch is to put a screwdriver blade or a key against the slot and pushing it down to unlock the pin.

Last edited by zambugsky; 04-07-08 at 09:32. Reason: Wrong part
AO Member
Had the same problem with handle and screw dissapearing...tried glue and lifting the mechanism to put another screw from behind, in the end gave up and drilled a hole through the front like "Terpenland" above... I think this is the quickest and securest method, as long as you don't mind a small hole.....
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa romeo 147

hi, i had this problem too, handle was rattling, i didnt have a torx key but did have a tork 8 screwdriver, i bent the end to a 90 degree angle and tightened the screw behind the handle, worked great but i think it may be a torx 10 as i had to put a bit of side pressure on the torx 8
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

The plastic chrome look handle has come away from the diecast mechanism on mine. Looks like the plastic chrome look handle once had a boss that pushed into the diecast part but has now snapped.

Reading here I'm thinking of just trying glue or prehaps a small self tapper through the plastic part into the existing plastic boss still inside the diecast part. Mine is a GT BTW.

Does any of this make sense?
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Save yourself some money - with a bit of DIY!

Just thought I'd post the picture of the modified allen key I made to access the back of the glovebox handle.

It **IS** possible to get to it without having to drill holes in from the back of the glovebox door AND it is possible to do it without any other damage too.

Again, just for clarity, it is an Allen key bolt - not a Torx.

Finally, it is best to try and do the job BEFORE the whole handle comes away. Part of the reason for saying that is that there is a little washer that's used too, which will easily be lost in the carpet if the whole thing has come away.

Just be patient when you're screwing it back in - the minimal access means you can only really do 1/4 turns at a time and also make sure you get some other metal implement to wedge open the sprung mechanism, otherwise your fingers will be bleeding by the end of it!!

I did consider adding some light-hold/red thread glue, but the whole thing takes so long I was worried about it setting before I'd actually finished. Then it would be held in the rattling position.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glovebox key.JPG (107.9 KB, 8 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

falling , glovebox , lever