HELP PLEASE im ready to give up. Power loss - p0238 error :cry: - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

Cry Like A Baby HELP PLEASE im ready to give up. Power loss - p0238 error :cry:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...5042010726.jpg

Hi guys

Ill try and keep this as short as possible - Car is a 147 jtd m jet 1.9

Basically for past 6 or so months ive noticed a real power loss in my 147, mainly below 3000.
The car is mapped and at one stage i always had a smile on my face , nowdays though i just keep thinking about selling it. I dont want to but its frustratingly under powered.

I got a bluetooth error code reader to work with torque app on my phone ( great app ). Error code wise all it came up with was p0238.

Having read up on previous posts i decided to put it in and have turbo cleaned. That hasnt worked and also cost me 8 hrs labour as was real issue getting it off as was seized.

Before that ive had following done

Cleaned EGR
Replaced MAP
Replaced MAF
Checked VGR / vacum pipes

Even have throwing this much money and time at the car it hasnt made a difference =(

Im ready to just give up .... please help ! Im in Ipswich and wondered if anyone local could help me or has any advice ?

Faithfully

Dave
davenegus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
CJO
Status: Enjoying a nice mug of tea
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,752
when you cleaned the ERG did you check that it was opening and closing smoothly
CJO is offline  
Status: Long, Low and Slow ..
AO Member
 
Shadeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 492
Images: 9
My guess is you have a faulty "boost control solenoid", probabley leaking air so its unable to control the the turbo actuator properly resulting in boost problems.
Shadeyman is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Dickymint_156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,116
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
My guess is you have a faulty "boost control solenoid", probabley leaking air so its unable to control the the turbo actuator properly resulting in boost problems.
+1 also dont bother to check the vacume pipes just change them mine looked ok but were ^&^*(
Dickymint_156 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

where would i find the boost control solenoid please?
davenegus is offline  
Status: Long, Low and Slow ..
AO Member
 
Shadeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 492
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenegus View Post
where would i find the boost control solenoid please?
2 small bolts secure it to the air filter box.

Item 14 in the attached diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boost Valve.jpg (53.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Shadeyman; 27-04-12 at 23:03.
Shadeyman is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 27-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

thats great, must admit dont think thats been checked. Would that explain the power loss?
davenegus is offline  
Status: Long, Low and Slow ..
AO Member
 
Shadeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 492
Images: 9
A faulty Boost Control Solenoid may well be the cause of the power loss and the P0238 error code.

The MAP sensor(via the ECU) controls the Boost Control Solenoid, which controls the turbo actuator. The actuator operates the vanes inside the turbo that control the amount of boost the turbo produces.

Failure of any of these devices usually results in loss of boost and therefore loss of power.
Shadeyman is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 28-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

getting valve cleaned and vacum pipes replaced so fingers crossed!
davenegus is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 30-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

wasnt the pipes or the boost control solenoid = (

bill for my car is mounting up ! they are going to fit a new egr rather than just cleaning it. If that doesnt work i dont know what to do =(

he agrees with me below 300 revs there is just nothing in the car

HELP !
davenegus is offline  
Status: BEEN AWAY SITE GOT WORSE .....
AO Gold Member
 
davealfa11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,861
Images: 4

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

get someone to start your car as you look down to turbo variable vane actuating rod..you should see it move about 20mm ....if it doesnt ... connect vacuum pipe off engine directly to turbo actuator ....this bypasses BCS ...if it moves then you may have a faulty BCS or a perforated pipe on that piece of small bore or your vanes are jammed up or rarely you vac pump is weak ..but your brakes will be poor so that should rule that out
davealfa11 is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 30-04-12 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 58

Member car:

147 2.0 lusso

im afraid turbo has already been off and tested and cleaned
davenegus is offline  
Status: BEEN AWAY SITE GOT WORSE .....
AO Gold Member
 
davealfa11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,861
Images: 4

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenegus View Post
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...5042010726.jpg

Hi guys

Ill try and keep this as short as possible - Car is a 147 jtd m jet 1.9

Basically for past 6 or so months ive noticed a real power loss in my 147, mainly below 3000.
The car is mapped and at one stage i always had a smile on my face , nowdays though i just keep thinking about selling it. I dont want to but its frustratingly under powered.

I got a bluetooth error code reader to work with torque app on my phone ( great app ). Error code wise all it came up with was p0238.

Having read up on previous posts i decided to put it in and have turbo cleaned. That hasnt worked and also cost me 8 hrs labour as was real issue getting it off as was seized.

Before that ive had following done

Cleaned EGR
Replaced MAP
Replaced MAF
Checked VGR / vacum pipes

Even have throwing this much money and time at the car it hasnt made a difference =(

Im ready to just give up .... please help ! Im in Ipswich and wondered if anyone local could help me or has any advice ?

Faithfully

Dave
8 hrs labour jeeeeeeez 4 hour tops
davealfa11 is offline  
Status: Long, Low and Slow ..
AO Member
 
Shadeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 492
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
get someone to start your car as you look down to turbo variable vane actuating rod..you should see it move about 20mm
Do as Dave says and double check the actuator is moving. To give you some idea of what to expect below is a link to a vid of the actuator on my old Stilo JTD, vanes were sticking and causing problems but you can see the 20mm of movement Dave is talking about.

Sticking Vanes/Actuator
Shadeyman is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
johnnybegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 77
Images: 8
Boost control solenoid fault

Did you get this problem sorted?

I have had the same issue but it has happened at times then gone away again but its now back agaion andI want to get it fixed for good.

The loss of power is always under 3000 not like when the egr needs cleaned which usually gives power loss at higher revs.

I think it is the boost control solenoid but before I buy a replacement I thought I would ask if you ever got it sorted.

I know you said you were having it cleaned but I wasnt really sure how this could be done as the part is sealed in its plastic casing so any help with that would be good
johnnybegood is offline  
Status: BEEN AWAY SITE GOT WORSE .....
AO Gold Member
 
davealfa11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,861
Images: 4

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
Did you get this problem sorted?

I have had the same issue but it has happened at times then gone away again but its now back agaion andI want to get it fixed for good.

The loss of power is always under 3000 not like when the egr needs cleaned which usually gives power loss at higher revs.

I think it is the boost control solenoid but before I buy a replacement I thought I would ask if you ever got it sorted.

I know you said you were having it cleaned but I wasnt really sure how this could be done as the part is sealed in its plastic casing so any help with that would be good
egr tends to give flat spot at 1800/2000
i suggest you check pipes as suggested
davealfa11 is offline  
fletch106
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hmmm you may be able to get a cheapie but working EGR from fleabay. I have had similar problems on my 20V. Look up my posts in 'known issues'.

I'd recommend getting the diagnostic cable rather than a plug in machine, so you can use Fiat ECUScan (free) and graph desired boost and actual boost. Then you'll know immediately if you've fixed it! I'd be interested to see the graph from your car.

Best of luck
Fletch
 
Status: Mrs says yes to a guilietta
AO Member
 
paulies 156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 537
Cleaning the EGR isn't always going to resolve the issue, I must of stripped mine down 3 or 4 times but still gave similar issues to yours OP.
In the end replaced it for 130 and all is well, since learned EGR's have a 60000 life span after that it's advisable to replace if symptoms persist.
paulies 156 is offline  
Status: DB9 Top Gear Track
AO Silver Member
 
pubsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulies 156 View Post
Cleaning the EGR isn't always going to resolve the issue, since learned EGR's have a 60000 life span after that it's advisable to replace if symptoms persist.
Can'y say I agree with that, just coming up to 100K miles on mine and still fine. Sure I've cleaned it a few times and driven out the solenoid as described in the 'how to' to make sure it operates smoothly. The shaft of the solenoid does get corroded and causes it to stick.

Then with the EGR plugged back into the electrical connector, but not bolted onto the car, check visually it operates smoothly using FES actuator tests.

And while it's off, fit the restrictor gaskets.

All the best

Pub
pubsinger is offline  
Status: Mrs says yes to a guilietta
AO Member
 
paulies 156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 537
Like I said Pub " if after 60k problems persist" mine didn't fail until 96k but the general lifespan is 60k.
paulies 156 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cry , error , give , loss , p0238 , power , ready

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome