Ok here we go…I purchased a 147 02 1.6 72k for my goodlady with only one key…made enquiries found it would cost me nigh on £300 for a new key /blade cut/ and programming which for a car I paid a grand for is stupid taking into account the normal day to day maintenance cost of the car…..so I thought there must be a cost effective way to do this and the following is how I done it.
I dismantled the existing key and removed the transponder (mine was just wedged in) I then pushed this into a small lump of ‘blutac’ which in turn I stuck to the steering column ignition barrel (having removed the cowl 1st.) I then used a large diameter piece of cable shrink wrap and warmed it using a hairdryer so it fitted snugly over the ignition barrel giving the impression is was factory fitted whilst securing the precious transponder in place. Cowl back on car operated no problem.
I then purchased a central locking device from fleabay c/w 2 remotes and flick action blades. In addition I also purchased a blank ‘Alfa’ blade and had this cut to the same pattern as the one I had.
Next I started soldering the relative outputs from the relays on the fleabay central locking module to in effect bridge the microswitches as required in the existing Alfa original remote. I then fitted my existing blade to the new remote and also the purchased blank I now had cut in the other remote.
Lastly I applied a fused supply to the central locking unit and mounted this and the old remote in the car and hey presto I got two new functioning remotes.
Ok so you gonna say “yes but a broken window and a screwdriver in your ignition will start your car” this is true but as its my wife’s car and she never leaves the car even when we pop to shops without a ‘disclock’ cat 2 steering lock on which I recon you’d need a blow torch or a high speed drill to remove and besides most thieves apart from those who can trace me by writing this would not be aware of any modification………….In the event there is nothing stopping me fitting a aftermarket immobiliser now which would totally complete the exercise especially if I can mount the transponder from the new immobiliser fob in the new remote.
Cost of the exercise was as follows:
Central locking unit £20
Blank key blade £10
Blade cut £18
optional immobiliser £30 - £50 which I won’t bother with because of steering lock but the option is there but either way I think you’ll agree it’s worth considering on a cost saving basis.
I am a electrician by trade and one who dabbles in electronics a tad (I know what a diode is that’s about it) I found the exercise itself fairly simple but if you can use a soldering iron and understand simple circuits then I would say its within the average diy person’s capabilities. I thank Chris and the other guys on here for explaining the operation of the Alfa security system thus allowing me to complete the exercise.
Whilst this worked out for me you obviously run the risk of breaking your own remote (which Chris could repair anyway I believe
) but don’t blame me if you encounter problems although you can always seek my help should you wish to pursue this course of action. The crucial bit is the transponder, which you must not lose or break, otherwise it’s a new ecu/immobiliser etc or a new key.