156 V6 Battery change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-03-05 Thread Starter
156 V6 Battery change

I need to change the battery and having just looked at what's involved to get the old one out, looks a bit of a nightmare, is there a simple routine for this....thanks. ps it's an "s" reg.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: 156 V6 Battery change

I guess by nightmare you mean the removal of the air intake pipe.
Actually thats quite easy and painless - its putting it back on thats the harder bit.
If you don`t have access to the tools that can re-clip those stupid metal retainers then it can take ages of fiddling to get them back on. My advice is to get some 80-100mm jubilee clips and make your life so much easier.

You will have to go to an engineers outlet (one of those shops with trade counters) to find them in that size, B&Q and your local motor factor won`t have them. Alternatively scrounge some for next to free from a local scrapyard if you have the time.

Apart from that, it not a hard job at all I seem to remeber, but then its been a few years since I did it.

Oh yeah, if you are really lazy and have the cash to spare, get Halfrauds to do it for you for an extra tenner
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: 156 V6 Battery change

Actuaslly those fiddly fancy jubilee clips are not too difficult once you've got the "knack", although I do worry that perhaps they aren't quite as tight as they should be.
I use a pair of finer adjustable long handled plier type thing (I think the one I use I knicked from the tool kit of the Merc A class I had as a company car - now there's a weird car nicve design but very definitely NOT a Merc)
They are usually sold in the plumbing section of DIY stores - adjustable by about 4-5 stops in nut width, the length and pincering type edges make it use to just squeeze the clip back together.
Has anybody ever tested the airtightness of these fancy clips new and used?
It worries me that they don't apply as much copmpression seal as perhaps a jubilee clip might (but they do look nicer!).. On my Saab 2lT there were similar clips. One day I decided to remove them all and apply thin thinnest smear of blue instant gasket (how many uses does that stuff have!) and reconnect on all the intake system - well the effect on power, especially low down was immediate and very noticable - all those years the turbo had just been blowing half its effect out of leaks in the piping!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , battery , change