Well, so I've progressed a bit (only just) since posting about the gear cable ends...
So what's happened so far..
All started from the fact that the clutch stopped releasing fully resulting in that it was difficult to put car in gear with engine running. So was pondering what the problem could be and whether to just open it up or try with replacing the slave cylinder first. So I tried to measure the movement of the slave cylinder and thought there was enough movement so I ended up just taking off the gearbox.
After seing the pressure plate it was clear why the clutch would not properly release as a number of the "blades" (or whatever these are called) of the pressure plate were damaged and would hence not be actuated by the thrust bearing. So this far all ok as it always nice when you can pin point the actual fault.
Ordered a new clutch kit and decided to go for Valeo for two reasons 1. because it happened to be the most economical (don't like the sound of cheap) 2. it also seemed it said Valeo on the old one. Bad thing is of course that I already had some proof that it would eventually fail but I was ready to accept this fact assuming the new clutch would last 340tkm as the first one.
Assembled the new clutch + pressure plate. Put on the thrust bearing on the fork. In order not to touch the clutch actuator arm while struggling with the gearbox I removed the cirlip and removed/lifted off the arm. After a lot of swearing (subframe on) I finally managed to get the gearbox back on. Put back on the actuator arm and started to try to snap on the thrust bearing to the pressure plate. Had a bit of a problem to apply enough force but with the help of a nylon belt (one end tied to the subframe and the other to the arm)
finally heared what I asssumed was the sound of the bearing locking to the pressure plate and was well chuffed. The clutch actuator arm was very firm so seemed ok and I thought I had now practically done the job.. .
As the slave cylinder gaiter was in pieces I had bought a new slave cylinder which I replaced in the process. And before mounting everything else I thought I would try the clutch. Obviously it needed the bleeding for which I used a thing called easy bleed or something. Opened the bleeder valve and pumped through fair amount of brake fluid.
Now here is where things start to get blurry maybe i was too tired.
When starting bleeding the pedal went to the floor (guess this is normal?) and has to be pulled "manually". Closed the bleeder valve to see whether I could get a normal feel in the clutch pedal. So I did some pumping until the pedal felt very firm, in fact rock solid.
However now I probably did somehting super stupid I continued to push and yes you right something gave in.. It would later seem that it was the thrust bearing coming off the pressure plate.
Just to confirm this stupidity I managed to get the thurst bearing back on just to repeat what I just previously did.
Now what I don't get it how can one manage to put pressure via the pedal on the thrust bearing just by means of pumping so that it comes off the pressure plate? Or was I simply ignoring the fact that I in fact was actuating the clutch even if it felt so incredibly light..
Well if that was the case I still can't understand how the thurst bearing can popoff.
It also seemed I all the time had to pull the pedal up by hand..??
Somewhere along the line I thought the problem was that the thurst bearing was not well attached to the pressure plate so used a bit more brutal force...
Well the result being that the thrust bearing took some beating as can be seen in the picture above.
Anyway will now have to get (at least) a new thurst bearing. But what I would like understand if there is something else obvious I'm missing here becasue I would not like to redo the this exercise too many times if it can be avoided. In fact I've serisoulsy conidered to take it to a garage to put together.
But on the other hand this should not be that difficult really, pure mechanics. And I've never read anyone having any kind of problems (well of this kind) when replacing the clutch. Now it's not the first time I'm doing repairs like this but until now they've all been push type clutches and with cables...
Anyway if anyone can think of any mistakes that I might have done while replacing the clutch then please advice.