Alfa 147 exhaust system - cats choked - straight piping? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-04-12 Thread Starter
County: Glasgow
Alfa 147 exhaust system - cats choked - straight piping?

Hello all,
Just heard back from my mechanic that the reason for my 2001 147 hissing when I accelerate, lost all power and is going through fuel like nobody's business is because the cats in the exhaust system have become choked and have now collapsed. He says to repair it will cost around 1300! (Nearly what the cars worth) So I'm looking into alternatives. I was wondering if it would be possible to fabricate straight pipes for it. It is 2001 so it would still pass it's mot with them (Pretty sure it's after 2002 that cats become a legal requirement?) Trying to get this done for under 400-500 so any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Chris.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

I believe any car manufactured after 1993 had to have a cat fitted, and became a legal requirement
(I had a K reg Renault Clio which required one, and I couldn't fit a decat)

I've just checked on Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By and they list a couple of catalytic converters, the most expensive one being 180+vat
Dependent on which one yours has, it should definitely be well below your maximum spend of 4-500!

The requirement you're thinking of, is any car made after March 2001 requires a type approved catalytic converter
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

I've just watched a set of cats on ebay fail to sell for 125.
If you keep the threads in good nick then you COULD (ahem, officer) swap the cats out for 264 days a year, and then replace them for the MOT. Not strictly legal and uncertain of any benefits but a LOT of jap cars do it as they overfuel (if you see one flame, it dont have a cat!!) a fair whack...
AO Member
County: West Midlands
There's a decat pipe for sale on ebay - 40

There's also a guy on the Fiat Forum who has a 147 decat pipe for sale, this is him:

Fit the decat pipe then get a Decat Remap for about 300.

Total spend - 350 ish ..

Last edited by Shadeyman; 16-04-12 at 13:09.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

If the cats arte blocked, you have a simple and cheap fix (this is what i done when mine where clogged).

Firstly remove the blocked cats, you then cut either the top or bottom off the cat remove the honeycomb/blockage.

Reweld the cat back together and simply refit.

Everything will work perfect again, including lambdas etc and you will gain 3to 5 bhp as well.

If all lambdas are working well you will pass emissions no problem.

To answer your other question its 1993 when cats became a legal requirment, however no one can tell if the insides are indeed intact or even there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , cats , choked , exhaust , piping , straight , system