147 Manual Gear Selection Problem When Warm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire
147 Manual Gear Selection Problem When Warm

I have a 02 147 1.6TS.

There gears have always been a little "loose", when it's in gear there's enough play in it to make it feel like it's in neutral. I replaced the bushes at the gearbox end of the setup which fixed a previous issue of it not springing into neutral when you take it out of gear.

Recently 1st gear has been getting harder and harder to select up until the point now that it's impossible to get. I can get it when it's cold albeit it's still a bit notchy but when it's warm there's no chance. Doesn't seem to be any other gear but first.

I'm thinking it's the gearstick side of the linkage which has gone but with it being worse when it's warm I have some doubts. Before I pay for the new parts and potentially break something else taking off the exhaust I thought I'd get some advice.

Has anyone else got any ideas or experience of this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Is the fluid reservoir overly full? Don't know if this has any effect?

Is the reservoir low? top it up and see if it stays in there if it is low - if it drops again, check your slave and master cylinder.

With my GT, the master cylingder was failing - i diagnosed it as a result of not being able to get into 1st very easily and it was creaking - people say lube up the master but I say change it - not that I have any expertise and certainly not as much as many of the people on here!!!

Have you checked the actuator? Check out the thread on lubing it up - pretty easy DIY - it might be as a GT thread but it's the same thing.

Beyond that, clutch worn?
AO Member
i would replace gearbox oil and then investigate further if no change.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gear , manual , problem , selection , warm