2003 147 Selespeed Cold Gearbox/EMS problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-04-12 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

2003 147 Selespeed Cold Gearbox/EMS problem

Hi all,

Apologies for the nature of the post - I love my 147 but do not have a very technical mind or knowledge so in the end will need to take it to a garage but just want to have ideas as to what might be wrong and whether I can afford to keep the old girl going!?!

On first start up (especially in cold winter) the car starts fine, selects gear fine but then when apply throttle it starts to kangaroo. At first this could be got rid of by either idling the engine for a few minutes before setting off or by "flooring" the throttle for a few seconds in first gear and it kind of kicked it out of it. But now it really struggles - it stalls if you put too much throttle on and has started almost backfiring under the car as if something is blocked and stopping getting any power from the engine. Even with a steady accelerator press the revs go all over the place as it seems to fight stalling/doesn't actually get the power from the engine to the wheels.

If anyone has any clues or directions for me to search any related threads etc. that would be great or any specific questions and I'll try to answer as best I can but basically it's almost undriveable for the first few minutes of the drive (no power to pull out of the junction I live on for instance) and it bangs under the engine. It's worst in "city" mode but still is a problem when using the paddles or stick shift.

Thanks for all your help in advance and sorry again I'm not very technical!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Brandenburg
Hello there,

not being a technical guru i've learnded with my selespeed that the "kangorooing" is due to (at least) two problems
- bad clutch ajustment/no calibration and/or
- problems with the EV0
(for more technical information you may want to look here Alfa Romeo Selespeed - solenoid valves and actuators)

As for the first, you have to check clutch adjustment and do the necessary adjustments with AlfaDiag/FES. That is, the clutch itsself should be fine, oil is new and enough, accumulator is fine and the pump does her job on a regulary basis.

For the second, over time, old oil flows down to the EV0 (which is (afaik) the lowest point in the actuator) and stays there. It tends to get sticky. So one solution ist to get that EV out, clean it, change the selespeed oil, get the EV in, calibrate and be happy (it worked for me). Or, you get a new EV0, thats also a good (but maybe more expensive) solution). 9th post in this Alfa-GT.de - das Alfa Romeo GT Forum - Gummiberzug Kupplung Selespeed thread (has pictures in it )

But, a little hopping when cold seems normal to me. So i do the same way as you do, when starting cold, let it run for a minute or so, select first and the R (i allways have to leave the parking lot in reverse), that helps a bit. And a sensitive right foot helps.

Only my 2 cents

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 2003 , cold , gearbox , gearbox or ems , problem , selespeed