Apologies if this ends up posted twice - the first one seemed to disappear, but chances are it'll be back! Anyway ...
Fresh from introducing myself in the newbie forum, here I am with a Selespeed problem - a month or so into Alfa ownership
Anyway, I'm hoping y'all can help here - I've had a dig round older threads but there doesn't seem to be a match. Here's what's going on (it's a 2001 Alfa 147 2.0 TS Selespeed):
* When the engine is cold, everything works perfectly.
* As it starts to warm up, when in second gear the dashboard gear indicator flashes.
* A little warmer, and the indicator starts to swap between 2 and 4, only when in 2nd. When it shows 4, I have to tell it to shift down
a gear to get it into 3rd (from what is actually 2nd).
* Warmer still, and when in second gear the display jumps to R, and the beeping (WHY??? It's not a lorry!!) for reverse starts. I know it's not actually in reverse because it keeps going forwards
. It also stays stuck in gear and I can't shift it unless I stop and put it in neutral, then set off again.
* Once it's fully warm, it adds in a "Selespeed System Failure" message, with yet more beeping.
All the problems are in second gear only, so I can drive the car by manually double-shifting between 1 and 3. However it keeps catching me out when auto-downshifting as the car slows, and it's distracting and annoying, and obviously I want it to work properly.
I have replaced the battery (the old one was on its last legs) and topped up the Selespeed oil (it needed about quarter of a litre at the most).
Any help or suggestions? Many thanks