engine swap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Flintshire
Help engine swap

Hi has anyone every swapped a 2lt into a 1.8 car , is it a straight swap or does anything need upgrading my 2lt 156 sportwagon body is having a bad time and i have found a 1.8 sportwagon same year but higher milage and the seller doesnt know when cam belt was done with 116000 on the clock and mine has 90k with recent cambelt and all other bels etc done.it cost me about 800 to get it done that was with other worl aswell so i reckon about 500 for belt etc , how much would an engine swap be?
Sponsored Links
both engines are the same physical size, no fitment issues. You may need a 2.o TS ecu
AO Gold Member
As said, perfectly straightforward swap assuming both are CF2 or both are CF3 - best to change ECU (together with code box and key chip) for best performance.

Tho to be honest the difference in performance between the 1.8 and 2.0 isn't that great.....and with the likely value of either of the cars versus the cost of swapping the engine I'd be operating on the bangernomics policy of just running the 1.8 as is, perhaps keeping the 2.0 engine and necessary parts in reserve, in case / until the 1.8 engine does let go.....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , swap