engine re-assembled & 2 bolts left over....big bolts!! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Monmouthshire
Originally Posted by mpturner2001 View Post
to be honest mate, without being near the car to check, I wouldn't like to say, I took that many bolts off I've lost track. I was following a guide I'd found online about removing the gearbox without dropping the subframe, I can't remember it instructing me to remove anything related to the steering rack?? I wouldn't need to would I?? but again, I cant be certain, the car and the guide I followed are at my parents workshop.
You didn't drop the subframe? In your first post you said you changed the DMF. I assumed it was the 2.4 JTD. Is it the 1.9JTD engine then?
Sponsored Links
the more often I see the 1st picture the more I'm certain its a steering rack bolt that you un-necessarily opened.

A word of warning, the steering rack is threaded, very long chamber with thread, be CERTAIN that the bolt is started correctly. the rack will most likely have moved, so from underneath check the position of the rack compared holes in the sub-frame. the rack may have tilted ........ check, double check. treble check..... a steering rack is not a 5 min job to replace if it goes wrong.

Last edited by Lacken156; 07-04-12 at 19:53.
(Post Link) post #28 of 31 Old 08-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Originally Posted by fishy-steve View Post
You didn't drop the subframe? In your first post you said you changed the DMF. I assumed it was the 2.4 JTD. Is it the 1.9JTD engine then?
Yeah 2003 1.9JTD SW, sorry, I should of pointed that out initially. replaced the DMF without dropping the subframe
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

156, 166

19mm head bolts that long are used to bolt the subframe to chasis at each side near the axles, similar bolts are used for bolting the aluminium fork to the lower arms.
AO Member
County: Auckland
Do you have a friend with an evil sense of humour?
AO Member
County: Essex
Silly question, but humour me, you haven't had the rear suspension apart at the same time have you?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bolts , engine , left , overbig , reassembled