Kwik Fit MOT - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
my mate worked for quick fit and had to leave as he could not cope with the way they for mechanics to find work! yes find work, he said they got bonus for extra work that could make customer have done, wether it needed it or not
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cornwall
its unfortunate that in many small towns kwik fit seems to be the only obvious choice. and they aren't necessarily trained mechanics at kwik fit, often merely 'fitters'
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
If everybody complained to VOSA & Trading Standards they'd soon stop the nonsense. Problems with your MOT test or certificate : Directgov - Motoring

Of course it's easier to just go elsewhere.
Problem with this is VOSA immediately cancel your MOT and make YOU pay fro a new one ... this is one reason that they don't get too many complaints. SO when you pick up that 2nd hand car with it's shiny new MOT certi ... paper, how can you realy be sure it's worth the paper it's printed on (nowaways about 1p!). And if it is dodgy and the dealer doesn't want to know, is it worth the hassle to get VOSA involved? I just won't got back to them or the garage that did the dodgy MOT.

I know a few good local guys and always on the look-out for more. I want them to be fair enough to pass it it it's got a blown side-light, but not it it's unsafe.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
County: -

Member car:

it's good that it passed first time around.
I usually send the wife to Kwik Fit to sit the MOT and come back with the failure sheet, if I haven't got time to examine the car myself first.
I'm not an MOT tester but I know what to look for - I also downloaded the test guidelines from here MOT Documentation Contents Page and here MOT Checks List | MOT Testing Guide | What Is Tested? | MOT Checks | Complete guide to the MOT Test | MOT Testing Trade Magazines which get you in the right ballpark.

The wife recently said the steering wheel wobbled when she drove at speed. After making the usual jokes that it was her nerves causing her to shake the wheel (and sleeping on my own that night), i sent her to Kwik Fit to get the the wheels balanced because the rims looked like they'd been curbed.

She phoned from Kwik Fit, saying she had just been quoted 340 for both track rod ends and the mechanic was warning her not to drive another mile, the car was a deathtrap.

I told her to drive home via the local motor factors (you never know you're luck ) and bring home 2 track rod ends at 40 each. When I had fitted them I sent her back to Kwik Fit for their special offer on wheel alignment checking.

A big bill and a lot of scaremongering, it's funny but I've got used to it now.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I've not been in KF site since the early '90s. Then I was in the fortunate position to have a company car ... and an Alfa 75 ... but the fleet had a restricted list of places you could go for tyres, exhausts, etc ... KF was one of them and as it was almost next door, that's where I went when the back box parted company with the exhaust.

SEVEN trips back as it kept blowing ... once I didn't even get back to the office before I turned around!! In the end their solution as to suggest "welding" it together .. my suggestion isn't printable but I could not get them to see the parts the fitted weren't right ...

In the end I pleaded with fleet to let me take it to a small local exhaust place and claim it back on expenses ... it turned out to be simple .. KF has fitted the wrong exhaust clamp ...

I don't think they even charged me for the new one ... but the whole fleet started going there soon after!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fit , kwik , mot