Turbo Actuator Vacuum Leak....... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-04-12 Thread Starter
County: Antrim
Mooney Turbo Actuator Vacuum Leak.......

Hey guys and girls, firstly id like to say i hope the information i have seen on here that has helped me in the past can come to help me on my specific problem this time! Ive been creeping on here for a while and found it sooo helpful!!

I bought an Alfa GT 1.9JTDm at the end of jan and it is the best car ive ever owned (driving 7 years had 8 cars, through choice not wrecks!) but during owning it i noticed a high pitched whine and could not for the life of me figure out what it was. I took the GT to get remapped and during the process i found out that there is some sort of leak in the vacuum system or the actuator connected to the turbo, im more inclined to think it is the actuator diaphram has a leak as when i move the rod the leak disappears.

My question to the wiser in the forum is, is it possible to replace the diaphram in the actuator or will it be a new actuator for me? And if i will have to buy a new actuator where do i find one, cause i cannot seem to find them on the tinterweb anywhere!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

its your hoses ..replace them small bore ones
AO Member
County: Kent
+1. Having read through what feels like all the turbo related threads trying to diagnose my issue not one has been down to a split diaphragm in the actuator so I don't think it's that likely. Most have been down to split or perished small bore pipes which go from actuator to solenoid valve and from solenoid valve to vac unit via a metal pipe which goes over the engine. Costs pennies on eBay for replacement generic silicone hose. Assuming your turbo set up is the same as the 156 JTD, can you see the actuator rod move 1cm or so when starting the engine?

wearing daps since 1983

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

actuator , leak , turbo , vacuum