Alfa Romeo GT window problem solved & more!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 31-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Crazed Alfa Romeo GT window problem solved & more!!!

Recently bought an Alfa GT 1.9 JTD quite cheaply as an economical daily driver.It had a few typical glitches,window drivers side stuck,broken passenger door handle,very very uneven tyre wear at back at inner edges,worn/rusty rear discs/pads,cosmetically very good for a high miler 04 reg with 120K,would pass for 40k as its business miles,not dinged anywhere,just few minor stone chips low down at the chin spoiler.
Thanks to the forum I tried everything with the window,the "reset" holding both window buttons down for a count of 10 then up,many times to no avail!
Tried disconnecting battery for 30 mins plus,tried that 3 times.Prior to this I did strip door down disconnected nodes/connectors and cleaned thoroughly.Disconnected and cleaned maybe 3 times,getting every Black/tarnish residue removed.
Finally slightly bent the male contacts,very carefully,to make sure of tight fit.
Tried direct connection of battery to test motor while window was up just created a spark,not a good idea!
Just about gave up,then shot some WD40 into the lock and for no reason window dropped 1/4 inch! Got into car and lowered window ok,but then remained stuck down,blast!!!
Next day tried the disconnect battery for 30 mins,followed by reset holding buttons down then up and this did the trick.That was a few weeks ago and all is still fine.
I thought it was worth posting this as the moral of the story is try,try again.
Handle was a challenge to fit,bought a used one just for the hinge.I had to use part of my own handle hinge as the one I bought was half broken,typical Fleabay sellers flogging rubbish.I managed to carefully remove hinge pins with gentle heat,take care as this alloy has a low melting point.I lubricated it well,stripped door down,had to remove glass,no question,would be impossible otherwise.All went back together fine and works as it should.
Fitted new discs and pads to rear,check alfa workshop guide,very useful.Not an impossible job but everything was a bit rusty down there and needed plenty of heat to shift bolts.Lots of care and patience required.
New tyres now fitted for back,just now waiting for new trailing arms as these need replacing (the rubber bushes were perished and caused the uneven tyre wear).I managed to source powerflex bushes for the hub end only,they don't make the bush for the other end that attaches to the body.
Any tips on fitting these??
I guess its best to remove while on axle stands and tighten up when lowered back on firm ground?
Oh yes managed to replace the little side light bulb,should be a 5 minute job on a normal car but no,had to remove the bumper and the light to get at it,stupid design!!!Who though of a thin plastic stick on the holder to remove bulb would last more than 5 minutes??
Bought Italian box super chip to boost power and economy,well worth £59,excellent!!Car goes like stink and returns 45mpg on average,thank god I read the owners comments and did not buy the 2.0 twinspark,Thankyou all!!
Getting new cambelt kit&water pump,better to be safe than sorry,even with all the work so far have a great car at a bargain price that should be good for a year or two.MOT due very soon,the joys of Alfa ownership,wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I wish I had your ability to as much DIY as you to work on my own GT but it sounds like you will enjoy the Alfa GT experience once you've got all the work done. Enjoy!
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 11-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Just put the car through MOT and it failed on ns headlight being too low.Garage unable to adjust,the plastic heads of the adjusters just go around and around lifting beam a few cm then dropping down.The electronic adjuster system appears to be usless,the motors are disconnected by previous owner.Another common problem!!
Only solution is to reposition the whole lamp where its bolted to car top and bottom.Done this by positioning car in front of garage doors and putting lights on to see beam position.The lamp was easy to move back at the top and a washer at the bottom between metalwork and lamp raises beam and gets it pretty close to level.Just have to take it back for retest and hope for the best.
The front upper wishbones needed replacing for MOT,£200 inc fitting,got away with not fitting the trailing arms,just needed tracking sorting,well worth £70 and an hour wait at my local tyre place,their cracking off of bolts,lubricating and tightening up seems to have eliminated a few squeaks too .
If I had paid the going rate for the car I would be a bit miserable,but once its all sorted I know it should last a while.
Window drivers side packed up again,so will have more fun and games with that.
Seems these cars are just thrown together with not too much though for longevity,shame really.You have to be an enthusiast to bother owning an Alfa!
I miss my 03 GTV V6,it never missed a beat and everything worked too.
AO Silver Member
County: Bangkok
upper support arms are £31 each (ex: shop4parts) how much garages charge per hour anyway?
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Originally Posted by Petrolheadguru View Post
Oh yes managed to replace the little side light bulb,should be a 5 minute job on a normal car but no,had to remove the bumper and the light to get at it,stupid design!!!Who though of a thin plastic stick on the holder to remove bulb would last more than 5 minutes??
There should be a tab on the sidelight holder to aid removal, however they do tend to snap off, especially if you've trying to remove it when it's cold.

Even if it is broken it should still come out by just tugging on the wires. Having said that it's possible the wires could pull straght out leaving the holder firmly in place, however I've yet to hear a report of that happening.

As for the window issue, sounds to me like a new switch node is needed. You've already performed all the usual fixes. If you go down replacement path you also need to get a dealer to pair it to the car. It'll work without pairing but the ECU detects a foreign item and the speedo will flash.

All the best

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 24-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the advice,thankfully managed to fix the window problem its definitely down to poor connection on mine,remedy was simple,a more thorough clean,then reset and they both work fine now.I have bought a new battery ,a decent Bosch 4 year job so plenty of amps,£60 delivered not bad.From the posts I have read on here an old battery with weak current can cause havoc with the electronics.The car flew through retest,no advisories.Just to make sure I am treating it to new oil & filter,new cambelt & auxillary belt plus tensioners & idlers for both & new water pump.Car runs very well and should be fine for many more miles now!
Getting a new key sorted out has been a pain too.
Bought a second hand key off ebay for £22,excellent condition 3 button type.Managed to buy replacement blade blank for £9 and had it cut by my local locksmith.He has a wide variety of tools and computer software to make many spares for thousands of cars but not mine.The GT has a 48 bit rolling code? After they cut the blank for me and a few tries later trying to get it to work in the ignition,it fits.They are great guys very helpful,Firmstones Warwick,only charged me £10 for an hours fiddling around too.
Advice on getting the key programmed would be helpful,perhaps someone in the Midlands and not too far from me.Last resort would be to visit either Fiat in Warwick or Alfa Romeo Solihull.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , problem , romeo , solved , window