Aircon issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Aircon issue

Hello all
Have a bit of a problem with my aircon in 02 156 JTS. It's never been brilliant, even straight after a leak was fixed and it was recharged about 2 years ago. However, during this warm spell it is not really putting out any cold air at all, just ambient temp. The compressor is kicking in as I can hear the click (well almost a clunk really) but there is no difference to the air temp coming out of the vents with aircon on or off.

As I say it has always been quite poor but if driven hard previously a drop in temp was noticeable, again this is not happening now.

I have tried the reset of the actuators by disconnecting battery for 10 mins but that made no difference - not sure if this does anything but it was referred to in another post and was easy to try.

There are noticeable hissing noises coming from behind dash when aircon is switched on - I think it has always done this but it appears to be louder now. The noises stop when aircon is off.

Not sure if it is relevant but I had all front suspension components replaced a few weeks ago - could something have been dislodged/disconnected that would stop aircon working?

Any thoughts anyone? Would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
after just reading through all the 'air con' threads trying to solve my problem, the hissing appears to be a sign of low gas
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

916 GTV 3.0 V6

I've had a leak in my GTV's aircon, and when it was on the way out it was making a weird gurgling sound for a while, not sure about hissing. But once enough gas leaks out, the aircon system detects the low pressure and the compressor won't kick in.

I'd expect the 156 is at least as sophisticated, so if you're hearing/feeling the compressor coming on then there must be some gas pressure still. Maybe it's a slow leak - do you feel cool air with the fan on full blast?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 29-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
No I don't feel any cool air with fan on full blast apart from the just the slight cooling effect of moving air. When it had a leak previously AC worked for a while after recharge but then compressor stopped kicking in due to loss of pressure. At the moment the compressor is kicking in but maybe there is a point where there is enough pressure for comp to start but not enough pressure to reduce temp of refrigerant? Not sure on this but if "hissing/gurgling" is sign of low pressure as pull says above then maybe it does just need a recharge.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Pressure drops over a couple of years ... if you check the handbook it recommends recharging every two years. But if it stops quicker than that and after a recharge, you've probably got another leak somewhere.

I found mine behind the front bumper. The pipe to the dryer in the inner wing had been rubbing on the chassis rail. No wonder it lost pressure in a day! Shame the muppet who recharged it didn't spot it even with u/v dye added to the gas! Trouble is they tend to concentrate on the condenser and pipes they can see.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aircon , issue