lumpy running, mcsf light... help.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 26-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Hmmm lumpy running, mcsf light... help..

Hi all, am after some advice. I have a 156 2.4jtd 20v which is running a bit lumpy.
First off.... a week or so ago, after reading up on here, i cleaned the egr valve, which
looked ok anyway, but i cleaned it all the same, then the sensor to the left of the egr, held
on with a torx screw (boost pressure sensor..?), that was badly coked up, cleaned with
carb cleaner, looked like new. The car ran lovely for about 300 miles, but would still go into
limp mode if i really floored it, then after restarting would drive fine again.. until i floored it!
Today it started playing me up again, running lumpy (can feel it through clutch pedal, just
feels 'not right'), guzzling the fuel and generally underpowered, so tonight i've had the egr
apart again, all seemed ok, then the boost sensor again, very coked up again after about 10
days & 300 miles, so i cleaned it off again. I bought a new battery today (the one fitted was
too small i found out, 065, should've been 096), i fitted the battery, did the ecu & throttle
reset as per the thread on here, and went out for a drive... ran ok'ish for a while until i
'gently' accelerated up a slip road, then the mcsf light and limp mode, pulled over, restarted
and it drove without limp mode, but still underpowered.
I cleaned all the connectors i took apart with contact cleaner and made sure they were
nice and snug, can't see any split pipes etc (doesnt mean there arent any though!), but it
is running like a bag o'****e now, sounds like an imprezza.
Now, it's going to the mechanic on wednesday for some arb bushes and an oil/filter service
and a thermostat (temp gauge 55-60, hot air unless on low setting), but this has been like
this since i bought it (3-4 weeks ago), so it has run ok with a duff 'stat, so in theory it
should run ok again with a duff thermostat.. right...?

Can any of the alfa techies help me on this one, will the thermostat miraculously cure
the problems, or have i got several issues at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

light , lumpy , mcsf , running