Petrol Smell - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

Help Petrol Smell

After searching this forum i have noticed there are quite a few threads regarding a strong smell of petrol.
I have recently noticed this twice and am starting to get a little concerned.
My MPG for a 156 veloce t.spark 52plate is averaging around 33mpg which is short stop start journeys.
Im pretty sure i don't have a fuel leak though.
Any ideas?
I noticed a thread where someone said when the weather is very hot it sometimes happens but i live in england and its bloody freezing at the moment.
Am i safe to drive? i dont want to blow up!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Re: Petrol Smell

Never had a Petrol smell that I can remember...
33mpg doesn't sound to far out of the way though, but it wouldn't take much of a leak to smell. I would get someone to have a look to be safe.
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

530i & MGB GT

Until last Oct I had a 2.0TS and had exactly the same smells, I remember as a kid my Dads Fiat 124Sport smelling the same even though it had carbs. Have a check round all the lines coming into the engine bay, never know there might be one that a little loose. Also check around the filler snout and cap, Ive previously had probs on a Rover 416 Tourer with a bit of back pressure in the tank. Petrol vapour is lovely it seems to get everywhere. Hope this of a little help
AO Member

There's a "closed" system that's meant to seal off the fuel tank and only vent (into the engine intake) when the car is running - to stop fuel vapour being released into the atmosphere.

You can tell this is working if you hear an inrush of air when you remove the fuel filler cap - it seals the system and always leaves a small vacuum in the tank.

I know that on my 1999 1.8TS I had problems with the mechanics of this and it caused several very loud deep "pops" from under the car.
The garage had a look under warranty and couldn't find any fault (!), but after the last large pop, I started smelling vapour around the car.

I could tell that the vent "seal" had stopped working, as there was never a hiss of air ever again when I opened the fuel filler cap. The system must have broken and be permanently venting the tank to the atmosphere.

That shouldn't really cause a problem as every car ever built used to vent to the atmosphere - its only the latest emission regulations that have forced manufacturers to fit complex systems to control this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

petrol , smell