2003 156 2.0 JTS emission snag and engine noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
2003 156 2.0 JTS emission snag and engine noise

Hoping some of you experienced/learned people out there can share some experience and intel on the following issues with my 2003 156 2.0 JTS.

The car has had little use in the last year whilst I've done a few jobs on it - sorted an alarm snag and fitted a new radiator amongst others. I'm keen to get it back on the road now and sent it in for MOT with a view to sorting any snags.

There were only 2 - a brake hose - easily sorted, but perhaps not so easily sorted is the high emissions - both CO and HC were way up. The garage who did the test gently suggested a new cat - the thought of which doesn't fill me with joy...! Wondering whether the lack of use is the main issue here - could anyone please comment/make suggestions? Thank you.

Lastly, there is a fair bit of engine noise with the following characteristics - at idle and low engine speeds it almost sounds like a diesel, there's a loud clattering type noise from the pulley end of the engine. However, when revved up just past 2,000 RPM the noise stops and the motor sounds superb. Thinking maybe the crank pulley....?

Again, can anyone comment/make suggestions please? Any ideas/experiences/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks and regards

Andy H
Sponsored Links
noise: disconnect the Auxilary belt, see if the noise stops. If it does then i'd suspect the au belt tensioner.
if not then its either timing belt tensioner or the balance belt tensioner

to check the CATS, you will have 4, remove the Lambda sensor, shine a light in thro the hole, if you see a honeycomb centre the CAT is most likely.

You should buy a KKL interface, form eBay, & download software from AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software or FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2003 , emission , engine , jts , noise , snag