Hopefully some of you will be able to impart your knowledge on some of the niggles my car currently has, some are relatively minor but one is actually making the car dangerous to drive!
- Passenger side window: When you open and close the doors the windows drop down a little bit and then go back up when the door is closed. Well it seems that my passenger side window goes down but then doesn't go back up. You have to manually use the window switch to raise the window up the rest of the inch or so? I took my car to MotorMech in Birmingham ( Fiat and Alfa Romeo Specialist Birmingham: Italian Car Specialist
) who said that it needed a new window control unit at £118 + VAT + Fitting. Does this sound right? I was thinking that there might just be a windows reset procedure that might rectify it?
- Glow plug warning error: The error message has been coming up for about a month now. I did a search and got lots of conflicting information on whether it was something that needed sorting asap or something that could be done along with the next service? Any advice on this?
- Passenger side door handle: The hinge part of the handle seems to have broken off so when you open the door the whole handle comes away rather than just the one end. Motormech want £68 + Vat + fitting. I've seen a few on ebay for £59 and was wondering if it something that I could just do my self? Is there a guide anywhere perhaps for door handle removal?
- Severe loss of power at times: This is by far the most presing issue and I'm not sure if it is related to the Glow Plug error. Basically, when you drive the car, when you approach an island or a junction, and are coasting and allow the revs to drop right down to near 1k or less, when you engage the gear and try to pull away there is no power at all. When this happens the idle seems rough and the car seems like it's going to stall but doesn't. It happened to me yesterday at a junction. I was turning left and went to put my foot down and then nothing! I had my foot to the floor and the rev counter was increasing soooo slowly. I was creaping down the road at about 3mph with a huge traffic jam behing me!! it took about a quarter of a mile for the revs to hit about 3k and then WHOOOSH all the power comes and you screech off like a complete chav!! I really need to get this sorted asap as it happened the other day with my wife and 8 week old daughter at a set of lights and she was left marooned having edged forward turning right and was right in the way of the oncoming traffic and could of easily been hit by someone charging to wards the lights.
The annoying thing with this issue is that it does it at totally random times and is impossible to show to someone. We took it to Motormech and he said the car drove perfectly, which it does 95% of the time, but the other 5% is potentially going to kill us!!
Motormech looked it on Wednesday and removed, stripped, cleaned and refitted the EGR valve but this hasn't helped at all........Anyone have any ideas?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!