PO3040 Error Code on Alfa GT 1.9 JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-03-12 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

PO3040 Error Code on Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

Morning all, I'd really appreciate some advice if that's OK.

Basically I'm trying to sell my Alfa GT 1.9 JTD and it's proving a challenge as it keeps on picking up faults. Had a cam sensor replace on it a few weeks ago. Ran fine for about 50 miles and then last week got a Motor Control System Failure message and the engine
light won't go out. The engine doesn't seem to start readily and I've notice some white smoke coming out of the exhaust as I've just parked it up. Took it back to the garage who had it on the computer and got a PO3040 code. They said it's a phase sensor fault
but changing the phase sensor doesn't remove the fault. They can't locate the fault and are saying that it may cost hundreds just to see what it is. So I've gone and picked it up....

Anyone got any idea what it could be and how many 's it could possibly cost? Could I get a fix in place that would possibly last long enough for me to eBay or motor auction it? Do need to sell fairly quickly. If anyone out there in the Leeds area could fix or would even be interested in taking it off me cheap (within reason) then please PM

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Suffolk
I keep getting P0340 (I assume that's the code you mean) and am starting to suspect it's battery related (http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...csf-p0340.html).

I often start the car several times without it travelling any real distance in between (put in and out of garage etc) - I think doing this is draining my battery (alternator doesn't have chance to kick in and recharge).
So occasionally when it's particularly low it struggles to start which is mis-read as a Cam/Crank Sensor problem (not enough power to drive the sensors as well as start the car??). It then starts fine afterwards and the error clears after a day or so.

I've not got around to changing the battery yet as I don't know for certain that it is the issue (it's just guesswork on my part, but there is a long thread on here somewhere saying failing batteries can cause unrelated issues) and also it doesn't appear to have any impact on the running of the car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , code , error , jtd , po3040