Air intake valves ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

Air intake valves ?

Hi folks,
I've attached two photos (apologies for the quality, taken with my phone), the bottom one is taken with plastic cover off the engine and it has a red arrow which shows where the other photo was taken from. The top photo shows a long thin bar - about a foot long that appears to be synchronising 4 valves opening and closing. I've a red arrow to the valve. The circular valves are some form of air intake, I believe, and as you can see from the photo the bar is no longer connected to these valves. You can obviously tell from this posting that my knowledge of diesel engines is very limited, so can somebody answer the following:
What's the purpose of the valves ?
How is the bar supposed to be attached to the valves ?
What's the best way to get access to it?

All help appreciated,
PS it's from a 2006 GT 1.9jtdm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail.jpg (54.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Overview.jpg (36.5 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Hi, those are the swirl valves in the inlet manifold, there is an actuator hidden underneath which operates number 3 valve, this in turn then works the other valves via the rod that should sit on top of them. the valve bushes wear allowing lift in the valves which pushes the rod off as in your case, it will also be leaking boost pressure which is why you can see a lot of oil around yours.

The rod is a push fit but is quite fiddly to get back on, I refitted mine but it only stayed on for a few miles before coming off again, I removed the injector pipes and fuel manifold to get to it.

The only fix I'm afraid is a new inlet manifold which is a big and quite expensive job, do a google search for 'vectra swirl valves' for more info, it is the same engine used in the vauxhall and saab but called a z19dth
Another reason why to stay away from Diesels + EGR issues + Turbo issues ....aaaarrgggghhhhhh !!!!!!!!!! + general Alfa suspension issues that wear out faster than on TS engined cars due to the extra weight.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

Thanks for that response - Yeah, I've done a bit of research and it looks as if the only permanent fix is rip and replace. I'll try the push it back bit first and see if there's any way I can tighten the push fit. Performance and economy are maybe 20% down, but other than that there are no other signs such as smoking or sluggishness to start.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

air , intake , valves