Warning - spring tensioner in very cold temps. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Idea Warning - jtd spring tension set in very cold temps.

Was doing my aux belt yesterday and decided to check under cambelt cover while at it.

I had done it in temps near zero and fixed tension at correct mark or maybe ever so slightly high in temps about 0c.

When I opened cover it was now pointing at the slot that the wee plastic tab sits in to keep correct alignment when you slide cambelt tensioner in and out to tension belt (which is imho far too loose).

So as it was 11/12 deg yesterday I managed to re-tension without loosing belt tension (so no need to worry belt slipped or anything.

Since re-tensioning and fitting new gates aux belt kit (upper idler in gates kit is actually metal rather than plastic) and fitted new genuine alfa tensioner for aux belt as well. The car no longer makes any chirps or squeaks from that area (bearings were not rough on old wheels but one idler and tensioner wheel both had a small amout of play in them).

Also when car was cold it was a little clicky (thought it was cos it's a diesel) but was quiter when warm. Thinking cambelt tensioner was now tapping off end stop when cold and once engine warmed and expanded it stopped.

As I had recently seen someone ask the question about fitting cambelt in the cold I would suggest you re-check cambelt tensioner as a matter of urgency now it is warming up... if not I think it a high chance you risk jumping a tooth.

Not sure why but car seems to pull better now it's re-tensioned correctly (maybe it allows timing to go out a miniscule amount if belt under tensioned. Not sure but defo pulls better.

Hope this helps save others bigger problems down the line for the sake of not checking...

Last edited by mr-mac; 16-03-12 at 07:59.
Sponsored Links
oh, there is not a chance tensioner slipped as I can assure you from loosening it I had bolt on FT

nobody else done one in the cold temps??? sure i saw quite a few threads for people doing them.

really can't advise strongly enough to re-check based on how loose mine was when temps warmed up.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , spring , temps , tensioner , warning