Water and oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-03-12 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Water and oil

Hi there first time post so forgive me if I miss any obvious information out. I have a 2004 147 2.0 TS. I have noticed over the last few weeks that my water and oil levels seem to drop quite often but there is no obvious sign of a leak or anything, is this a common problem or is it something I need to have a garage look at??? Thanks in advance Chris
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
The Alfa TS engines are rather fond of oil. No leaks typically, they just consume it. Keep a regular eye on your oil level, i.e. every week until you get used to how much your car is using, then adjust as you feel comfortable. When I had a 2.0TS I was probably topping up/checking every couple of weeks (pushed to remember I would say I was topping up 1/4ltr every 1000miles - but one engine to the next will vary). The difference between the max and min on your dipstick equates to around 1ltr and this should be kept topped up to max at all times.

No experience to comment on water/coolant loss i'm afraid.
AO Platinum Member
Loosing coolant is not normal and needs looking at ASAP before it suddenly lets go and wrecks the engine.

FYI coolant isn't just water, so I hope you haven't just been filling it with water...?
err... my first suspect would be hose or a pinhole in rad (esspecially if old) is it looseing all the copper fins?

trouble is you probs won't see leak until it is hot so get car hot then sit idleing till fans cut in. then you should see if small leak somewhere.

also check pass side carpet in footwell towards middle in case leak is in interior cabin matrix.

if your using red coolant any leak will eventually build up to a whitey pink ressidue around leak area. not sure if blue stuff leaves as obvious a sign.

AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
blue leaves a light coloured residue ...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

oil , water