How do I replace bottom wishbones on my 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-02-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help How do I replace bottom wishbones on my 156

I know there is lots of info on this site about wishbones but can anyone give me a step by step guide to replacing the bottom wishbones on my 156? I have somehow managed to get the old arm off (o/s, will do n/s later) but can i get the new one in? no way!!! To get it off I split the bottom ball joint, remove the the bottom strut bolt, undid the 4 mounting bolts and by wriggling everything it eventually came out.
To get the new one in I've tried to reverse the process but no good. Do I need to remove the big driveshaft nut so I can pull the hub completely out of the way? Remove the strut? Put the ball joint into the hub first. Can anyone give me a 'noddy' guide to doing it
Sponsored Links
Re: How do I replace bottom wishbones on my 156

Not done this yet (planning to!) but the way I did the 155 was to lack the suspension strut up...does that help?

Another possibility would be to put the balljoint in first but you may struggle to get the botls in then???

AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: How do I replace bottom wishbones on my 156

I managed without touching the driveshaft.

Take off a/r bar drop link, and disconnect the small bracket holding brake sensor wires, etc. You need the strut to move as much as possible.

Put the balljoint bolt in first (takes a bit of wiggling and it goes it a bit at a time. Take care with the threads! Then swing the arm into place. (I think I swung mine in from the rear side, but it's several months and the old memory is getting fuzzy!). Only then do you tighten up the balljoint nut then fit the arm mounting bolts.

I held the strut on a small wheelable jack and it swung around around to make room. But you might have to loosen the top mounting bolts to get abit more play and movement.

It wasn't easy but with abit of brute force, I managed to do both in a day (and tops!). Just persevere ....

I wish now I'd made notes and had a digital camera!!!

PS HAve you run a search on here ... I'm sure I added a write-up last year.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bottom , replace , wishbones