Originally Posted by BeautifulBusso
I was under the impression that the Sale of Goods Act says that a car comes with a gaurenteed 3 months waranty? Even if the garage says otherwise, the only way around it is to sell it as private and not trade so not sure if the garage is selling is as private or trade?
Of course I am no expert so I might be wrong but I thought it was along those lines?
The photograph appears to be on the 'premises' so you would assume it is being done through the dealership?
Either way, at this mileage, no warranty should get all the alarm bells ringing. Forget the speil the advert is coming out with, you'd need to inspect the service history meticulously to see if all the usual suspects have been attended to on this particular version of the 156 JTD 16v. Namely:
1) Yeah the belt/pumpwas changed at 63k miles but was the idle bearing changed as well? Absolutely vital as these can crumble, ruining the belt.
2) Has the front ARB been changed and when? The ARB on this model doesn't last long (it's the same version as on the TS/JTS models) and isn't up to dealing with the very heavy engine up front.
3) Same goes for the front wishbones/springs/shocks.
4) This is about the time that EGR valves, overboost valve and attendant pipes (both top and bottom) pack up. Have they been changed recently?
5) The JTD 16v 150 is heavy on the front AND rear brakes. Has all this been done?
6) Has the gearboxoil been changed? There is an issue with 3rd gear synchro/bearings on this box, changing the oil at least every 36,000 miles helps.
7) This is the mileage when the exhaust system really gets rusty. Has it been chnaged?
I could go on. ok it looks shiny in the showroom, but why at least no 3 month warranty????
I smell a rat.