GT 1.8 TS convert to 2.0 TS engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

GT 1.8 TS convert to 2.0 TS engine

hi fellow Alfistis

im driving an Alfa GT 1.8 Twin Sparks engine (Manual gearbox). Im toying the idea of replacing this engine to a 2.0L Twin Sparks engine (basically a 147 2L TS engine) since the engine compartment n chassis is same as 147.

anyone does this before? any advice or opinions of what needs to be done or cant be done?
appreciate in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Mechanically is a perfect straight swap. No modification needed. you will just need to have your ECU remapped with 2,0 TS software. It should start on your 1,8 ECU and run quite fine, but have the 2,0 map loaded into it and job done.

I am just not sure if the 1,8-2,0 change is worth all of the work. If you could do it at home and can get a reasonably cheap 2,0 engine in good condition, why not. Otherwise its pretty expensive job for 10 BHP and few Nm. If your 1,8 is in perfect condition, runs fine, has fresh belts and low oil consumption, keep your 1,8 IMHO.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather, 3.75l conversion,F360 TB,ported heads,Balduzzi cams,GTV manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear, Blaupunk NewYork 800 + Focal

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
I'd agree, unless you have blown up your 1.8 I don't think its worth the effort to swap to a 2.0.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Would the jump from 1.6 to 2.0 be more worthwhile?

And the insurance company would never know

(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

hi guys many thanks for your reply. probably it should be about 1.8k Euro to change to a 2.0 L TS engine with ECU, new set of timing belt and perhaps clutch change. Anyother things that i need to consider ? i would think this amount is rather reasonable .. any opinions?

I would love to have more torque for high end at 4th n 5th gear in my current 1.8TS engine. I have done removal of front 2 pre cats and novitec exhausts and running on stock intake paper filter. any advices what else i can do to optimize this?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

convert , engine