147 Selespeed issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Taranaki

Member car:

147 Selespeed issue

Bought a 2004 147 selespeed twinspark. Am experiencing problems with the selespeed.
Was having problems while driving the gear number on display would flash and selespeed error would display. Experienced major issue when car wouldn't change gears normally only letting me change from 4th to 2nd and back again. Car completely died and wouldnt start, with only the N light flashing on display.
Took my car to alfa garage who said and i quote:
"Checked for stored faults with diagnostic computer, found the Selespeed pressure dropping below 45 BAR. Advised first thing to replace is the accumulator sphere . Replaced the sphere and carried out the end of line calibration. Road tested with diag computer connected and found pressure is holding well at this time"

Am now experiencing further issues:

1st issue: When starting car am unable to select 1st or Reverse. Doesn't happen all the time normally when car is first started in the morning, but not always the case.
2nd Issue: While driving car gets stuck in gear, have had it stick in 2nd and also 5th.
3rd issue: when starting in morning car jerks like a learner driver on a cold morning.

Am reluctant to take back to garage as it is 4hr drive away and feel they will just replace something that may or may not fix the issue.
Would greatly appreciate any help/advice
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

147 selespeed

From My experience with two sele's they alwasy jerk when cold.
If you plan on keeping your car for the foreseeable future i recommend you invest in Alfadiag or Fiat ECU scan diagnostic software that can be used with an OBD cable ( i got mine from Rarebear on the forum).

If you search the forum you will find many similar problems to the ones you are having, you mite find some fix in these threads.
This could possibly be as simple as adjusting the clutch push rod (diagnostic software required).
hope this helps.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Mate if you're in the 'Naki try Adlams European in NP - they're a Citroen garage but talk to Dennis there he knows about selespeeds and can probably sort you out. Better than going all the way to Wanga-vegas or Hamiltron.

In terms of the problem, if you've had a new accumulator fitted that leaves the pump or the actuator itself. If you're losing fliud I'd vote for the actuator, if not then could be pump. Your symptoms sound more like pump, but get it on diagnostics.
AO Member
Still learning about the Selespeed concept, but can confirm that mine also jerks like a learner when cold. Giving it a bit more heavy foot helps.

Hoping it's not the actuator, but losing fluid doesn't sound good. Some mechanics over here offered to replace only the actuator back plate which seems to be a common leaking point, and much cheaper than a new one!! But differing opinions around the different alfa forums as to how much this job is worth, and whether it's worth doing at all. Most mechanics will only replace the actuator, and it's stupidly expensive. EBSpares (amongst others) in the UK supply them far cheaper than you'd generally get it for in NZ, but obviously more hassle waiting, shipping cost etc.

But as mentioned, it may be a sensor, calibration issue or pump. Fingers crossed, but that recco for New Plymouth sounds like a good tip. Getting someone who knows the fussy SSpeed system is by far the most important thing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , issue , selespeed , selespeedhelp