Constant whoosing and whining noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Galway
Constant whoosing and whining noise

I've got a whooshing and whining noise coming from the engine bay and I cant for the life of me figure it out.

The whining is only audible when i accelerate and is dependant on speed and the whooshing is there from the moment the engine is started. Its coming from the belt area (t-belt changed about 10k ago along with the pulleys) however the pump wasnt changed as Im following the change the pump every second belt change rule, I've checked the coolant and oil for any tell-tale signs and everything is a-ok.
My next guess is the fan belt, already I've had the alternator and power steering pump replaced so I know its neither of them but I cant remember when the fan belt was last changed, if I had to guess it would be about 50-60k ago, I've ordered the belt as a precaution so that will be fitted later on the next week or so but could an old fan belt cause this kind of whooshing?

The whining is scaring me slightly as I've had the clutch changed in january and Ive read some threads where the clutch was to blame but I am unsure as even in neutral it can whine if i rev the engine. Best way to actually describe the noise is like a banshee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lacken156

can you make a you-tube of the noise?

Lacken156

check the power steering reservoir, make sure its not low

AO Member

County: Ceredigion
Aux belt idlers?
AO Member

County: Falkirk
timing belt might be overtensioned
(Post Link) post #6 of 28 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Sorry guys for replying late, I can make a youtube video tomorrow and upload it. Re the power steering reservoir, if this was low wouldnt the steering become heavier?
Doubt its the timing belt as it only started doing this noise when the bad weather had settled in.
Aux belt idlers havent been changed to my knowledge, but I could be wrong as so many things have been replaced in the space of a year that Ive lost track
AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
I've got a whooshing and whining noise coming from the engine bay and I cant for the life of me figure it out.

The whining is only audible when i accelerate and is dependant on speed and the whooshing is there from the moment the engine is started. Its coming from the belt area (t-belt changed about 10k ago along with the pulleys) however the pump wasnt changed as Im following the change the pump every second belt change rule, I've checked the coolant and oil for any tell-tale signs and everything is a-ok.
My next guess is the fan belt, already I've had the alternator and power steering pump replaced so I know its neither of them but I cant remember when the fan belt was last changed, if I had to guess it would be about 50-60k ago, I've ordered the belt as a precaution so that will be fitted later on the next week or so but could an old fan belt cause this kind of whooshing?

The whining is scaring me slightly as I've had the clutch changed in january and Ive read some threads where the clutch was to blame but I am unsure as even in neutral it can whine if i rev the engine. Best way to actually describe the noise is like a banshee
whining noise could be the input shaft bearing in the gearbox.
Mine has been doing this for the last 6 month but does not seem to get any worse fingers crossed and all that.Had my clutch and flywheel changed 12 month ago so i was crapping myself as well.
Does the noise go away when you dip the clutch and rev it if it does its the input shaft.
Whooshing noise could it be another slight split in the pipes to the turbo?

Tell you what mate you've had some s##t with that car haven't you.....
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
alternator
(Post Link) post #9 of 28 Old 29-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

@Gazza: yeah Ive had nothing but troubles with it for the past year. I fix one ****ing thing and another shows up the next day. This will be the last repair I do on it and if something else comes up (major) then it will have to go cause I cant afford this anymore. The noise is there with the clutch dipped and engaged (the whining noise)
I had thought of the pipe but usually they make the whoosh when you accelerate whereas mine is constant

@Dave: by alternator are you referring to either the whining/whoosing or both?
AO Member

County: Durham
[QUOTE=bear1;4653350]@Gazza: yeah Ive had nothing but troubles with it for the past year. I fix one ****ing thing and another shows up the next day. This will be the last repair I do on it and if something else comes up (major) then it will have to go cause I cant afford this anymore.

I keep saying the same thing about mine but you keep hoping it will eventually be sorted but it keeps on biting you on the a##e.
Sometimes you have to stop throwing good money away........
AO Member

County: Perth and Kinross
I'd agree with davealfa, I had a horrible whine (read it described here like the noise of a milk float) also just after the cold weather. Turns out the alternator bearings were shot.

A good way to check yours though: start her up and get a long, thin bit of wood. Put a rag between your ear and the wood and check all the bits driven by the aux belt by putting the other end of the wood to the components (be very careful of the belts though). You'll know when you've found the problem, if it's a bust bearing that is.

Best of luck!
(Post Link) post #12 of 28 Old 29-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Ok guys and update - first off thanks a million for the advice. I brought it today to a friend mechanic who replaced my crank sensor in 20mins (thought it would take an hour or two) and I then pointed out the noise.
He had those sound enhancers, you know the ones doctors use to check your pulse, cant think of the word for it. So he went under the car listened a bit, then put it to the air conditioning pump and after a few minutes told me all the pulleys were fine, alternator ok and ac pump ok and it turns out that the belt is waaaayyyy too old and needs to be changed very soon. So when I bring the car back in for the wishbones ill have it replaced aswell. phew!!
mr-mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peange View Post
I'd agree with davealfa, I had a horrible whine (read it described here like the noise of a milk float) also just after the cold weather. Turns out the alternator bearings were shot.

A good way to check yours though: start her up and get a long, thin bit of wood. Put a rag between your ear and the wood and check all the bits driven by the aux belt by putting the other end of the wood to the components (be very careful of the belts though). You'll know when you've found the problem, if it's a bust bearing that is.

Best of luck!
hose to ear is a much better way to finding source of noise. glad it's just belt

AO Member

County: Perth and Kinross
Hose to ear, genius! Although hopefully I'll never need to use that trick again!
mr-mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peange View Post
Hose to ear, genius! Although hopefully I'll never need to use that trick again!
Simple idea usually are.

Worked superbly a number of times for me finding what was squeaking or pinpointing exact location of exhaust leak on V6 front pipes\manifold. you'd even be surprised how accurate it is

The smaller bore clear stuff is great but even a length of garden hose is brill and you can usually direct it in all sorts of hard to reach areas

(Post Link) post #16 of 28 Old 29-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I'd just be afraid of going around the belt areas with tubes/wood, drop it and ciao ciao.
Delighted its just the belt, amazing how you always assume the worst (cause they usually are) when something goes wrong. Just need to sort out my lack of power until 2k now
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
I'd just be afraid of going around the belt areas with tubes/wood, drop it and ciao ciao.
Delighted its just the belt, amazing how you always assume the worst (cause they usually are) when something goes wrong. Just need to sort out my lack of power until 2k now
egr issue
(Post Link) post #18 of 28 Old 29-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yep, spot on - the ******* is new and all just gonna clean it and blank it off. Poxy valves with no use
AO Member

County: Dorset
I have a whine that is rev specific and starts when I come off the throttle. If I Rev to over 3 and then come off the gas a faint whine/whistle is heard between 2+3 revs then goes.

It's a 3.2 GT just had top rebuild, clutch, quaife, cam belt etc. No other signs came on about a month ago. Any ideas people?
AO Member

Anyone?!
AO Member

Cheers guys.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I think the reason you haven't had a reply is because we collectively don't have a clue what your issue is..!

hope you get it sorted, you may have more luck with this question in the GTA section as it will be all V6 shenanigans over there....

good luck..
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
It's called a stethoscope.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
It's called a stethoscope.
I have a stethoscope, although for human/animal use not car use! Also I cannot drive the car and listen in the engine bay at the same time.
AO Member

County: Denmark
As someone earlier suggested, have you checked the power steering reservoir, and made sure it’s not low ?

The alternator might be struggling – either it’s broken or because the battery needs to be replaced.
Also rev specific noice might be caused by the aircon. compressor (broken or low fluid level in the aircon. system) or even a broken power steering pump or a water pump.
If the noise also changes when you turn the steering wheel it’s most likely caused by the power steering pump.

Last edited by EngholmP; 01-08-16 at 12:12.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
constant , noise , whining , whoosing